Travelling With a Dog

I'd like comments and/or suggestions on taking a 6 hour car trip with my 8 month old dachshund. I've never done this before and since he's still young I don't want to leave him at a kennel for the 3 or 4 days I'll be gone.

Betty from Lubbock, TX

Answers:

Travelling With a Dog

If your pup is kennel trained he will be fine in a kennel. However, since you want to take him with you. You should stop once every 2 hours and walk him for 15-30 minutes (since he is still really young). This might make the trip longer but it will keep from mistakes happening in the car. A travel kennel is recommended so your pooch doesn't distract you on your long journey. Also, bring treats, toys, and a water bowl. It will keep him from being bored and thirsty. It will also be good if you take him for small trips around town before you go on your long distance trip to find out how he reacts. (03/11/2008)

By Tiff

Travelling With a Dog

My family has a small dog and she loves to travel with us. We've even taken her on long trips from western CO to central KS! We've found that she does best when she has her own pillow, but almost always ends up in the front passenger's lap, so she can see what's happening. We make frequent stops anyway, so we always give her a chance to run a little bit and do the potty thing, and when we eat, seems best to give her a hamburger or sausage patty from our fast-food stops. Take along a container for water. Your dog may not eat much, but it'll be thirsty. Also take your dog's special bed, if it has one. I believe most dogs love to travel. Have fun, and good luck! (03/11/2008)

By KLJohn

Traveling With a Dog

We've always traveled with our dogs and have a doxie that "hit the road" with us at 8 weeks. We stop every couple of hours for ourselves and that is enough for her. We carry a bowl, a bottle of water, a baggie of food, a "lap blanket", a small bed, and her leash and collar. Sort of like having my babies back again! She loves to sit in my lap (the passenger) so she can see. We all enjoy having her along. (03/18/2008)

By Glenn'sMom

Aggressive Dog
Dog is Aggressive Towards Other Resident Dogs
A happy dog standing up.
Training a Dog to Stop Mounting (Humping) People
Illustration of two kids in costumes.  A witch and a pirate.
Making a Dog the Bounty Hunter Costume
Dog Peeing on Another Dog
Dog Peeing on Another Dog
🎄