Treating A Bougainvillea Thorn Prick

Category Home Remedies
The beautiful bougainvillea blooms hide their toxic thorns. The prick can produce a rash and noticeable pain. This is a guide about treating a bougainvllea thorn prick.

I was trimming bougainvillea and a thorn poked my finger through the gloves I was wearing. Three days later, my finger is stiff, red, and very sore. I cannot bend it at the joint where I was poked. Is this something that needs to be treated? I don't see a visible thorn. Can I get an infection?

Michelle from San Diego

Answer Was this helpful? 1
Best Answer

You most definitely need to get to a doctor!!

Best Answer

Until you get to a doctor.........soak it in a solution of epsom salt and warm water. That should draw some of the poison out of it. Do you have a red swollen finger or are there red streaks running away from the initial sore area? If you have red streaks you need to get yourself to a doctor........NOW!

I believe I was pricked several times by that plant in the woods it is a large thick tree like briar so I looked it up and I am not fully sure if it is poisoning to prick but it hurts.

http://www.ehow  llea-thorns.html

You might want to look at this. I have a hard time with bougainvillea thorn pricks. I am also allergic to a lot of plants, however it seems like their thorns are coated with something that can effect some people.

I was pricked by an old, dead Bougainvillea thorn on my mid middle finger. 3 days later that finger was swollen to twice its size, red, throbbing, burning and with a severe pressure pain. Next day had purply blisters lateral finger and severe finger joints pain. Was put on Keflex and prednisone and has helped little. The pain is traveling down to my mid hand and I can barely bend that finger at any of the joints , now also including the knuckle.

My husband does most of the gardening and gets pricked by bougainvillea frequently without reaction. Some of us are sensitive to the substance that coats the thorns. I'm getting quite concerned about how long it will take for this syndrome to resolve.

Yes Michelle, I strongly encourage you to get to a physician or urgent care center. It's always better to be safe rather than sorry.

I thought I was breaking the tips of the thorns in my hands and arms or I was crazy! Thank God neither apply. Some strong thorns they even go through my leather gloves.

I am experience the same thing. I am on antibiotics now. Cuz I can't handle the pain. I have heard other people went through the same thing for a week

I think if u haven't experience the pain, you have no idea then. It's not nonsense. The plant has toxins in it. Some people are immune to it.

Didn't realize this post was so old. Last night I met a man who also stepped on a thorn and suffered for two long years, not knowing a piece was lodged in his ankle . After seeing many doctors, his skin was falling off, his body , he lost over 90 lbs, the doctor told him he was going to lose his legs, they finally removed the thorn. This poor guy showed me pictures of what happened to his body for 22 months. So horrific. Hope your out come was better

How do you treat a bougainvillea thorn in your thumb?

By Reza

Answer Was this helpful? 1
Best Answer

Pull out the thorn. Make it bleed a little. Wash your hands with soap and water. Put an antibiotic ointment on the prick. Put a bandaid on it.

Can bougainvillea cause severe itching?

By melroyse