Treating Cat with Ear Mites

I need tips/home remedies to treat ear mites in cats. Thanks.

By momof4Ks from MO

Treating Cat with Ear Mites

Ivemectin sold for horses at the feed and seed stores will kill mites. Also tea tree oil sold in drugstores will kill them. (09/06/2009)

By nlmn

Treating Cat with Ear Mites

Tea Tree Oil is very toxic to cats, if he gets it in his mouth it could kill him. I love Tea Tree Oil, but cats do not. I would go to the vet for a bottle of drops to put in the ears, it is much simpler. Robyn (09/07/2009)

By Robyn Fed

Treating Cat with Ear Mites

As odd as it sounds, I accidentally discovered that Purell works. When I found my cat, she had them to the extent her ears and head were bald. The medications from the vet's did nothing, and one day I accidentally gooshed some Purell on her while sanitizing my hands after handling her.

The next day a lot of the symptoms were gone, so I started placing a small bit on my finger and massaging it inside of her ears. After a few days they were gone and her hair had started growing back. You must be careful that they cannot lick this, but since it was in her ears I did not expect her to.

I also can confirm that a friend of mine tried this after I persuaded her to, and her cat's mites were cleared after a few days. (09/09/2009)

By Jron7667

Treating Cat with Ear Mites

I make up our own "medicine" and use it regularly to clean the 6 kittycats' ears that we have now. We have one, our son has 5. They are completely indoor kitties, so once the ear mites are gone, we only have to use this solution to keep the ears clean about once or twice a month. If your cat goes outside, you'll have to watch it carefully and do a repeat when necessary. Just keeping the oil in the ears will help deter the mites from coming back. They do not like it. Our medication is completely harmless, but do keep it in the ears and not on the face and eyes.

Mix equal parts of olive oil or sweet oil with hydrogen peroxide and rubbing alcohol (70% only). 1 oz. oil, 1 oz. hydrogen peroxide, 1 oz. alcohol. Use a cotton ball to do the cleaning, but if the cat has ear mites, you might need to apply it with a dropper, and massage it deep into the ears. Don't try to put anything sharp down into the ears. That would hurt and possibly injure the cat. Apply this medication at least twice a day for a week or more. Afterward, keep a close watch on the ears to make sure the mites are no longer there, leaving their black "dirt" around.

Ear Mites can be one of the most painful and irritating things that can happen to our pets, and we can help. I never got anything from a vet that helped at all. An old lady told me about it, and I've been using it now for about 40 years. It works and works without doing any damage.

Just plain old olive oil helps keep the ears nice and clean when rubbed on and into the ears with a cotton ball. Good luck. You are a good person to care about the poor cat and be willing to help her/him. One day people are going to be very sorry at the way we are allowing our animals to be treated. What goes around, comes around.

All the best to you.

Julia in Coconut Creek, FL (09/09/2009)

By PookaRina

Treating Cat with Ear Mites

Just take your baby to a vet, get a prescription and follow the doctor's orders religiously and they'll be gone. You don't want to mess around with home remedies because you're risking precious time cause those mites will eventually enter the inner ear and can cause deafness. (09/09/2009)

By Deeli

Treating Cat with Ear Mites

Hello, I have worked for a veterinarian for over 27 years. Please take your cat to his /her Dr. Your vet will take a sample and put it on a slide and check it for mites. There is not any over the counter product that will help your fur baby. He or she needs medication from a veterinarian to be rid of this problem. Good luck. (09/09/2009)

By K9cats

Treating Cat with Ear Mites

Go to your local Ace Hardware Store and tell them what you are looking for. They will take you straight to a medicine called Happy Jack mitex pesticidal is written below in smaller letters. We save stray cats from death row and find them new homes here in western NC mountain area. I do not recall what it costs, but I am sure with me and the Mr. both being on Social Security as our only source of income it was no more then $10.00. Instructions on how to use it are on the bottle.

We used it on 5 of the strays (and had some left in the bottle) and their ear mites were taken care of. I heard about this from our local vet. I am sure that if you do not have local ACE Hardware store there, you could buy it on line. Goggle it (Happy Jack mitex pesticidal) you may be surprised. Good luck and keep us in the know on the ear mite situation and what you do do. (09/09/2009)

By Paula Jo

Treating Cat with Ear Mites

I would never "self-treat" this. Go to your Vet, they will do a swab and give you the correct medicine.

Jennifer from Northern VA (09/16/2009)

By ILuvDobes

Treating Ear Mites
Treating Ear Mites
Rendering of a dust mite on a white background.
Getting Rid of Dust Mites
A woman with swimmers ear.
Treating and Preventing Swimmers Ear
Vet treating dog's ear.
Treating a Dog's Ear Infection
buzzing in your ear
Buzzing in Your Ears