Treating Dogs with Dry Skin

I recently read that 1/3c baby oil, 1/3c Listerine and 1/3c warm water is an amazing treatment, but what exactly does the Listerine do?

By Sara

Listerine is an antiseptic. If it helps your dog, you might consider having the dog checked for some sort of bacterial or fungal skin condition. Either can cause dry flakey skin on an animal.

The mixture you are thinking of is often used for other conditions like mange, flea droppings allergies, and skin mites - all causes of dry flakey skin on a dog (or cat, actually, and the mixture is effective on them as well).

Please consult your Veterinarian for the correct diagnosis.

Listerine is an astringent for just dry skin increase the omega fatty acids. Olive oil 1 tsp. on dry kibble does the trick for my chronic dry skin Labrador. Or use fish oil tabs.

I read about the Listerine/Baby Oil/Water solution more than a year ago for the treatment of mites and itchy skin and it worked like a charm on both of my pups, especially the one who always seemed to be scratching constantly. They actually like it because it's gentle and soothing. BTW, mineral oil is the same as baby oil w/o the scent. If you dog's fur isn't growing back where he once chewed, buy "Nu Stock." I read hundreds of positive reviews on Amazon and it performs miracles. All the fur grew back, thick and shiny.

The Listerine has natural oils - Eucalyptol, Menthol, Thymol and Methyl Salicylate. This is why it is used to sooth irritated gums. It really does relieve the itching in a yeasty dog. Our Basset is having a really bad outbreak right now and she is soundly sleeping at the moment since applying the Listerine mixture on her a couple of hours ago.

When you mix it with the baby oil and the water (which dilutes the alcohol in the Listerine) there is plenty of oil in the solution. No need to add oil to the diet. I just give my Basset unrefined coconut oil as a supplement for her yeast issues.

I give my dog plain yogurt everyday as she has yeast issues. Haven't had her back to the vet for their expensive meds!