Question
Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Treating Plants with Powdery Mildew

0 0EmailFollow
Pin It
Powdery Mildew on Plants

This common fungal disease can affect nearly all types of plants. This guide is about treating plants with powdery mildew.

Solutions: Treating Plants with Powdery Mildew

Read and rate the best solutions below by giving them a "thumbs up".

Tip: Treating Plants With Powdery Mildew

A good solution to get rid of this Powdery Mildew is to make a solution of dry powered milk and spray your plants. This is a tip I learned at a Master Gardener Class. It works!

By jeannette from West Palm Beach, FL

Article: Organic Solutions for Powdery Mildew

Powdery Mildew on PlantsIf you garden long enough, sooner or later you'll find yourself dealing with powdery mildew problems. This common fungal disease can affect virtually all types of plants. Fortunately, other than slowing down growth, reducing yields, and looking terrible, it rarely kills affected plants. Here are some ways to tackle the problem organically.

Symptoms and Effects

If your plants have a white to grayish powdery coating on the upper surfaces of the leaves, the problem is most likely powdery mildew. Once a plant's leaf surface becomes covered with patches of mildew, its ability to produce food (photosynthesis) is reduced and it becomes weak. Leaves are often shed prematurely, and in severe cases the plant may fail to produce fruit.

There are many types of powdery mildew, all of which spread by microscopic spores. These spores can live for years in leaf debris or in the soil, and are carried to plants by wind, insects, and splashing water. Conditions that favor the spread and growth of powdery mildew include a lack of air circulation around plants (especially in the shade), dry weather, and temperatures between 60 and 80 degrees F.

Prevention

• Start by selecting and planting mildew-resistant plants.
  • Avoid watering plants from overhead to steer clear of splashing leaves.
  • Selectively prune stems and branches to improve air circulation around plant leaves.
  • Eliminate environmental stress caused by water or soil deficiencies, which leave plants more susceptible to disease.

Organic Treatments

Baking Soda: This homemade remedy is easy and inexpensive to make, and very effective at preventing powdery mildew. Mix together 3 tablespoons of baking soda (sodium bicarbonate), 1 tablespoon of Murphy's Oil Soap (or light horticultural oil) and 1 gallon of water.

Spray a fresh batch of the mixture on the tops and bottoms of leaves every 7 to 10 days. Because oil combined with the heat of the sun can damage plant tissues, it's wise to test the solution on a few leaves before using it in large quantities.

Water: This low-tech approach must be done consistently to work effectively. Unlike indoor mildew, powdery mildew hates water and spreads readily on dry leaves. The spore plugs must embed themselves in leaf tissue to grow, which they can't do on slippery, wet leaves.

Spray down the leaves with the garden hose daily. Make sure you do this early enough in the day so that leaves dry out before evening, otherwise you'll be swapping one fungal disease for another.

Compost Tea: When used as a foliar spray, compost tea has both insecticidal and fungicidal properties. Place a gallon of well-aged compost in a 5-gallon bucket and fill it with water. Stir well and let sit in a warm place for 3 days.

After three days, siphon off the liquid tea by filtering the mixture though a burlap sack. Pour the tea into a hand held sprayer and apply to leaves in the evening.

Remove affected leaves and discard severely affected plants. Use a plastic bag to carry the plant debris out of the garden. Spores can live for years waiting for the right growth conditions, so either burn the waste or discard it in the trash. Don't compost it!

By Ellen Brown

Give a "thumbs up" to the solution that worked the best! Do you have a better solution? Click here to share it!

Here are questions related to Treating Plants with Powdery Mildew.

Question: White Powdery Substance on Hibiscus Leaves

My hibiscus plant has a white powdery substance on the leaves and stems. The leaves turn yellow and fall off. How do I get rid of it? What is it?

By Dawn H

Question: Powdery Mildew on Squash Leaves

This is the second summer I've grown zucchini and yellow squash in my garden. Both years the leaves become covered with powdery white mildew. Eventually the bottom leaves die and the new leaves soon become mildewy as well.

I have had two different water systems, underground that waters only the roots, and above ground, but only watering in the morning so the leaves get dry. It didn't seem to make any difference, they were covered with mildew with both systems. I don't want to use a chemical fungicide unless there's no other option to get good healthy leaves. I don't want to eat fungicide. I would be grateful for any help.

By LeeAnne67 from Bothell, WA

Most Recent Answer

By cookie2 [1]09/10/2011

I feel your pain. I've been plagued with powdery mildew for over two decades. It is nearly impossible to get rid of because it lives in the soil from year to year and is both air borne and water borne. One of my yards is so infested with it that I cannot grow any vegetables there at all. It is extremely contagious and easily transmitted by the hands and gardening tools.

The only thing I've learned to do is manage it, somewhat, by eliminating flowering plants that easily succumb to it - morning glories and sunflowers, for example. It attacks nearly all soft leaved plants, so your squash is easy prey. Remove infected leaves immediately and harvest very early, not letting the fruit remain on the vine too long, then pull up the plant when the mildew begins to overtake the it. I've managed to grow squash quite successfully with this kind of diligence. Also, areas of the garden that get the longest hours of full sun seem to thwart the invasion. If anyone knows a cure I'd sure like to know about it.

Question: Remedy for Powdery Mildew on Succulents

I recently noticed that one of my succulent houseplants, a kalanchoe, has powdery mildew on the leaves. I just moved and it is in a new location, but nothing else has changed. How to I treat the leaves? They now have brown spots where I have wiped it off. Thank you for your suggestions.

By Barbara from Bremerton, WA

Most Recent Answer

By Frugal Sunnie [11]07/23/2011

I've never treated succulents for powdery mildew, but have other plants using a fungicide purchased at the garden centre. Check your local extension website, or talk to the staff at the nursery to see what they suggest.

Question: Treating Plants with Powdery Mildew

I am very inexperienced in gardening. There is a white powdery look and white flecks on the underside of a sweet potato vine. Is this powdery mildew? The white flecks are not insects. But I do not know what they are.

Hardiness Zone: 10b

By Lynn from South FL

Most Recent Answer

By Ce [4]11/15/2009

Go to your Nursery, Home Depot or Lowe's for some plant treatment that will kill the white powder.