Treating a Cat With Watery Eyes

My cat named Count Dooku is 1 year old and has watery eyes. I dealt with this a couple weeks back with my younger cat, Yoda, who is 6 months old. I have some left over amoxicilin from my other cat's treatment and was wondering if I could give it to her?

By Ally Leah

Amoxicillin is only good for 14 days once there is water in it. It comes in powder form. If the medicine is over 14 days old, it isn't any good. I would call my local pharmacy and ask if you could use Visine eye drops or something like that. They should be able to tell you and the advice is free

Please take your cat to the vet to get his eye pressure checked. One of the symptoms of glaucoma is eyes that continually water. It is doubtful that may be the case since he is so young, but if it persists you might want to get it checked. Also, any eye injury can lead to increase eye pressure over time. I adopted a stray (at age 4) who had a previous scratch on his eye from a fight. At age 9, he has been diagnosed with glaucoma. His eyes watered alot and I just thought it was allergies or a cold, but then his eyeball started to swell. And the vet says this condition can be very painful if left untreated. Best to play it safe and check.

Don't use old medicine! I have a white cat with watery eyes too, and it's allergies. Not so bad that I have to treat him, but allergies in animals is getting more common all the time.

Don't use Visine. Your other cat apparently had conjunctivitus of the eyes and people can get that too. It is catching from one cat to the other and it takes usually an eye med., to get completely rid of....Take the baby to the vet before the other one gets it back. or at least call and ask him for more to treat the little one.. He just might. save you some money.

If you ever use any drops for eyes from the store then get the lubricating drops only as they don't aggravate the eyes or burn.

February 4, 2013 Flag

My cat has "allergy eyes". They water a lot and she gets crusties. I really don't want to take her to the vet or give her drugs. Any advice or help out there?

By Michele L. from Richmond, VA

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

How do you know your cat has "allergy eyes"? as you said you did not go to the Veterinarian. I have worked for a Veterinarian for over 27 years and have never heard of this condition. Please take your cat to his/her Veterinarian for an examination. Having runny crusty eyes in very uncomfortable for your pet, poor thing. Please go to your Vet for a checkup. Good luck

Treating a Cat With Watery Eyes
Pets CatsJune 18, 2011
Two male Persian cats.
Neutered Male Cat Mounting Other Male Cats
Scrambled eggs are too watery.
Watery Scrambled Eggs
A cat door installed in an old door.
Teaching a Cat to Use a Cat Door
Treating the Soil After Tomato Blight
Treating Soil After Tomato Blight