Treating a Dog's Ear Infection Without Antibiotics

I came here for some natural healing advice for my dog who was going through a fungal skin problem. I tried a lot of the tips I received and it cleared up! :) So, now I'm going to try it again. The same dog (poor thing) now has an ear infection or is close to it. The last time he had one, his ear was a lot redder. Again, looking for natural healing tips to use to clear it up. I have cleaner I got from the last time (he had to take pills too), but as we recently moved, have yet to find it. I'm still going through boxes. If anyone has a tip/idea to try, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Sandra from Queen Creek, AZ

Poor Dodger

Answers:

My dog has had chronic ear infections for years until I finally was given this remedy.
In a small bottle mix 1\2 cup isopropyl alcohol, 1\2 cup white vinegar, and 1\4 cup hydrogen peroxide. Fill affected ear canal with solution and massage vigorously. Wipe out with cotton balls. Repeat once a day for 10 days. I've kept pooch on a serving of yogurt a couple times a week which also seems to help.
Good luck!!
(07/17/2007)

By msburny

Have your vet check Dodger for ear MITES. These bugs build up populations deep in the ear and can precipitate a secondary bacterial infection. He/she will reach into the ear with a swab, and then the crud on the swab will be examined under a microscope. Any little critters waving back at you will require real treatment, not garlic and whatnot. Give Dodger a hug and tell him he'll have real relief soon! (07/20/2007)

By kimhis

I don't know about any natural remedies, but our rat terrier was scratching his ears and whining. We thought he had ear mites, and treated him a couple times with no relief. Then it dawned on us that it might be an ear infection rather than mites. I went to the farm and feed store and got a package of Terramycin. It does not say that it is for dogs nor does it say that it is for ear infections. It says to add to the water for treatment of several diseases in chickens, turkeys, cows, swine and sheep. However, after several doses, his symptoms disappeared. We also have a female terrier that has teeth problems including abscessed teeth that cause pain and swelling. This same antibiotic cleared up this problem. Just dissolve about 1/8 of a teaspoon in a little warm milk, and they will lap it up. We dosed the ear infection daily for 5 days, and the symptoms were gone. Repeat treatment if symptoms reappear.

Harlean from Arkansas (07/21/2007)

By Harlean from Arkansas

I am a new member. I have been treating my my 12 yr old beagle's (Sparky) ear yeast infection with prescribed medications (ointments) from the vet for months. The problem is that there is fluid down in his ear canal that I can't seem to get out, and when I continue to drop ointment into his ear it seems to add to the fluid build up. Because the ointment has a thick consistency, it doesn't come out very easy from deep in the ear.

Yesterday I tried the home remedy that Msburny posed on 7/17 - The treatment was successful in loosing the build-up in the ear and sending it out far enough for me to whip it out. I tried it again today, and simiar results. My concern is that my dog is still shaking his head and wonder if the mixture of white vinegar, hydrogen peroxide, and isopropyl alcohol is making his ear itch? Should I be using something else after the flushing to treat the yeast infection? And is there anything I can use to prevent itching? Sorry for the long post. (07/22/2007)

By tsultana

There are different kinds of ear infections that are caused by different problems and that need different treatment.

Is the infection in the outer or inner ear canal? If in the outer, you can use drops, etc. But if it is an inner ear infection, using drops and delaying treatment may make it worse or cost your dog his hearing.

If you can't find the dog's medication, please call the Vet that saw him last and ask what to do. You've already paid for that information and they'll tell you over the phone. At least that way, you'll know that you are getting the proper info and can make an informed decision on how to proceed. (07/22/2007)

By susanmajp

Dog Paws

HI Leigh Ann,

My dog did the same thing for years. He would lick his paws till they were sore and painful. Turns out it was an allergy to the corn found in his commercial dog food. Since then I have switched him to raw food (such as chicken,turkey etc) and it has completely cleared. You could also try a commercial dog food that does not contain by product or corn if you do not want to go the raw route. Its called Fromm.

Hope this helps. (09/11/2007)

By Leandra

Apply dog ear drying powder to the infected ear. Make sure you get the powder deep in the ear canal, basically flood the ear canal (you can't put in too much), the dog will just shake off the excess powder. The powder will dry up the extra moisture in the dog's ear canal. Without the moisture most micropic critters (like yeast) cannot live. I put ear drying powder in my dog's ears at least once a week and definitely after she been in or around water. (12/10/2007)

By Deana Koenig

Referring to skeptic that posted on 7/14/07 that there is no scientific evidence that natural remedies work and to not mess around and use antibiotics, I disagree. I believe that the natural and herbal remedies may actually work better and if he did more research he would know that the antibiotics cause yeast infections so it may be a temporary fix but the infections will return because the antibiotics will cause a yeast build up in the body. 12/14/07. (12/14/2007)

By Tara

Diluted vinegar is great, as a preventative, but not when dogs have scratched the inside of their ears, that would be painful! (01/03/2008)

Google "Blue Power Solution" for a miraculous recipe. Read the whole article by Helen McKinnon before using. (01/28/2008)

By jane

A quick note to the "skeptic". I have used antibiotics for my dogs chronic and severe ear infections and they have not worked. If anything, I believe all the years of antibiotics have made things worse.

I put my dogs on a raw (aka B.A.R.F.) diet to confirm that her infections were food related and it worked. She's 15 years old and acting like a puppy again. (03/19/2008)

By lindsyj

Vet treating dog's ear.
Treating a Dog's Ear Infection
Treating Ear Mites
Treating Ear Mites
A woman with swimmers ear.
Treating and Preventing Swimmers Ear
oinment bottle
Treating a Staph Infection (Cellulitis)
buzzing in your ear
Buzzing in Your Ears
🎉
🎄