Treating an Infant With a Stuffy Nose

Are there any home remedies for a head cold in a 1 year baby with a stuffy nose?

By Melly from GB

Answers:

Treating an Infant With a Stuffy Nose

Call a pediatrician and talk to a nurse. (10/17/2010)

By MCW

Treating an Infant With a Stuffy Nose

They don't usually like it, but saline spray and a bulb syringe work wonders. I also find with my kids that letting them splash around in a warm bath will usually clear their noses right out. Lots and lots of clear fluids will also help to loosen things up. If those don't work, talk to your doctor. (10/18/2010)

By slr5113

Treating an Infant With a Stuffy Nose

Try hypericum, available in health food stores. My sister used it on my granddaughter and it worked well. (10/18/2010)

By blondie29697

Treating an Infant With a Stuffy Nose

Attach a handkerchief (with something safe like a nappy (diaper) pin) that has a dab of eucalyptus oil on it to the baby's clothes. Eucalyptus fumes help clear the nose and throat, easing bub's distress. Do not take internally. (10/18/2010)

By merry50

Treating an Infant With a Stuffy Nose

When my son was a baby and he would get a cough, or stuffy nose I would rub a little bit of Unkers Salve on the soles of his feet and put socks on him. That always worked great. (10/18/2010)

By Cindyc

Treating an Infant With a Stuffy Nose

Eucalyptus or anything with a scent should never be near an infant or child. Anyone with a respiratory condition that stuffs them up could also have a breathing issue from these items. There is the potential for asthma and allergy attacks will be set off. Unless you have an eppi pen handy, don't do that.

On the market are a number of safe things to use along the lines of moisturizers to be applied as a dropper or 2 in the nasal cavity. For my granddaughter's first year of life, she had not a simple sniffle. We used a dropper with Ocean 2-3 times a day for her and this rinses the nose, etc. clear.

Do not make your own for babies/young children. Use the commercial product or ask your pharmacist to mix it for you. (Most are compounding pharmacists that would not have the problem, but big box pharmacies would direct you to the product on the shelf.) (10/18/2010)

By TandT Grandma

Treating an Infant With a Stuffy Nose

If you are still breastfeeding of have any breastmilk left in your freezer from breastfeeding you can take an eye dropper fill it with breast milk and squirt it up both sides of the baby's nose. This does wonders and will immediately clear a stuffy nose. I learned this from an article in "Mothering". Peppermint tea with some sugar or molasses works very well too just make it strong. Really do try the breastmilk though it's amazing and weird, but amazingly works for eye infections too. (10/19/2010)

By tigra

Treating an Infant With a Stuffy Nose

Blondie29697 Hypericum is saint john's wort and is used in adults for depression, I wouldn't know how safe it would be for little ones, please double check that to be on the safe side. (10/19/2010)

By Diamondee