Treatment For Dog's Itchy Ears

Does anyone have a good treatment for itchy dog ears? I used the recommended home remedy of alcohol, white vinegar and hydrogen peroxide. It worked to flush the yeast out of the dog's ear, but now his ear seems to itch.

Tammy from MI

Answers:

Treatment For Dog's Itchy Ears

Coat the inside of his ear with olive oil, it's a great moisturizer and fights mites. (07/24/2007)

By tupperangel

Treatment For Dog's Itchy Ears

We have cats. We use lavender oil on a cotton swab and clean out the ears. The vet says no yeast or mites. We spray their beds with lavender too, and no fleas. (07/26/2007)

By kryvenchuk

Treatment For Dog's Itchy Ears

Hi Tammy,

Your dog could have ear mites. These little bugs start burrowing into the dog's skin inside the ear, and the itch is horrible. Cats get this too- I've seen rescue cats who have torn quarter sized holes in their ears trying to stem the itch.

Ear mites usually produce brownish-black yuck in the ear (dead mites and feces). Whatever it is, a quick trip to the vet is the way to go. Ear mites are easily treated with ear drops, available from your vet.

Good luck, Janet. (07/26/2007)

Treatment For Dog's Itchy Ears

Hello,
Please take your fur baby to his Veterinarian. The reason might be that he has a yeast infection, or have ear mites. Both of these must be treated with medication from your doctor. Home remedies do not work. I have worked for a Veterinarian for over 27 years. Good luck. (07/27/2007)

By sherri

Treatment For Dog's Itchy Ears

Ear mites are easy to cure. There are drops you can get from the vet. If your dog is scratching it's ears, you need to get this checked out. Good luck. (07/29/2007)

By tinah

Treatment For Dog's Itchy Ears

This happens worse for certain breeds of dogs. My Shar-Pei had genetically oily ears and all dust mites found their way into her ears. The diet is important, too. More dry foods with LOTS of water, helps. I'd use Cetyl alcohol, such as Cetaphil, in the face cleansers aisle. But be VERY careful not to push any of the mites/lotion down into the ears further, and prepare to have to do this often, until you find an organic gentle pesticide specifically for this purpose, even if from a Vet. They might sell it to you without charging for an office visit/exam. God bless you and your dog. : ) (07/29/2007)

By Lynda

Treatment For Dog's Itchy Ears

(submitted via email)

I just found this wonderful home made recipe online which sounds as if she knows:

REGULAR PET EAR CARE:

I make a mix of lemon or vinegar, crushed fresh garlic, tea tree oil, black walnuts (picked green, sliced, soaked in vodka), which is so pesticidal since it's alcohol, that it's amazing with other ingredients. And Neem Oil from any Hindu/India grocery. Doesn't matter. I roll cotton onto twigs from my tree, making a bigger q-tip than is available. Dip in this acidic potion, clean ears. Any black in a cat's ear is mite poop indicating mites. Do it regularly, even daily .

I know my magic medicine works even though the cat/dog/rabbit, etc., will not be too happy with the odors until the ear stops itching/being deaf. Wear plastic gloves (not rubber because it will pull the animal's hair and cause them to be combative). Wrap them in a large towel, except for the head, with the neck area snug, but not so tight that it chokes them, and use paper towels or a rag to toss after wiping up any drips. If you have any left over, refrigerate for other applications, as needed.

This should bring instant relief. If the animal shows no signs of healing/comfort in three-four days, see a vet because it could be something more serious.

Lynda from TX (08/02/2007)

By jess

Treatment For Dog's Itchy Ears

If your pet has ear mites, olive oil will NOT rid their ears of them. As for ear issues, other than mites, most are caused by food allergies. Try a food without wheat, grain or soy.

Peroxide eats away at healthy tissue. It is no longer encouraged for injuries, let alone ear issues. The most important issue is finding what is causing the itchy ear. (02/05/2008)

By emmafudd

Treatment For Dog's Itchy Ears

If the problem isn't ear mites, then if you haven't already, check the ear canal for hair, this will cause some itching. I have a non-casting breed, in which the hair growth in the ear is quite bad. I tease any hair out of the ear (very gently and a small amount at a time), then use some Hydrogen Peroxide (the lowest form you can get - so it's not too strong) and then use cotton wool to wipe the ear.

The itching may also be caused by using the Alcohol and White vinegar. I certainly wouldn't use them but the key when using Hydrogen Peroxide is to find the lowest percentage you can - if its too strong then, yes, it will strip the ear.

Good Luck! (10/23/2008)

By Holly

Treatment For Dog's Itchy Ears
Dog With Itchy Ears
Remedies for a Dog With Itchy Ears
A woman with itchy ears.
Remedies for Itchy Ears
Chihuahua puppy
Puppy's Ears Aren't Standing Up
Remedy for Dog's Itchy Skin
Remedy for Dog's Itchy Skin
🎄
🍂