Trick-or-Treating Tips

Children out trick or treating
Halloween is a fun for kids as long as safety is your first consideration. This guide contains trick-or-treating tips.

I have been hearing about Halloween for weeks now. Today I actually heard something that was wise. How do you allow your children to have fun and NOT eat too many sweets? It is fun for kids to see how much candy they can get, but so many children today have ADD, allergies, or are just sensitive eating so many sweets. What is the answer to, like many parents, just giving in and letting them eat as much as they want? Not any of these sound like a good time for the parents or the children.

I read an article today where they had solutions. However, these cost the people who were giving the treats out; buying toys, tooth brushes, books and even coupons can add up fast.

I liked what my neighbor does. The kids go out in the neighborhood to get candy, for what ever amount of time their parents give them. If they always say "thank you", there is no fighting, arguing, and the night goes smoothly, both kids pick out their favorite 10 things from the bag. Of course they have games along the way, where a small piece or two is checked then enjoyed. Just as they get home the candy is looked over, and each picks out their 10 favorites.

After the kids pick the ones they want to keep, their parents take the rest to be church treats in Sunday School. Then instead of all of the sugar, the kids get to pick a toy, going to the movies, or something else special.

I thought this was genius. Along with going trick or treating they get to look forward to what their parents decided they would "give" in exchange for all of the candy. It could be as thrifty or as special as your budget allows. Even if it's a day at the park, everyone is happy. They are already looking forward to the weekend after Halloween.

Sugar isn't good for children. So much of it isn't good for anyone. In today's world, the candy has to be wrapped, store bought. That means a whole bunch of chocolate, sugar and additives maybe leading to trips to the dentist, unwanted fat, etc. This way they have fun, laugh, and enjoy the dressing up. They get to have treats and still have something special to look forward to after Halloween!

Have a fun night. I really liked this idea. The candy went to a good cause, another family outing, and everyone is happy.

Source: My neighbor's family does this.

By Luana M. from San Diego, CA

Give Trick or Treaters a candy container if they come with plastic bags to your door. We live in town where we get at least 75+ treaters to our door on Halloween. Two years ago, my husband noticed some kids who came to the door were only carrying a grocery plastic food bag to get their candy in and not even wearing a costume of any type or just had painted faces. They look so sad as well.

So we started buying any kind of candy containers that were a Halloween theme that we saw in yard sales or after Halloween discount sales in stores and stock up on them throughout the year. Then when we have at least 20 containers we'd fill those with lots of extra candy and I print out a little card that hangs from the side of the container that says "Here's a special treat just for you, enjoy your candy bucket, Jesus Loves you too!" And we have them placed by the doorway at easy reach so that any child that comes to the door with just a plastic bag gets their own candy container. Their faces light up so big with a smile. Happy Fall and Halloween Everyone! It's just around the corner. :-)

A white pillow case (or any old one will do) works really well for trick or treating. It holds lots of candy, won't tear and can be seen by motorists when most costumes are dark. They can be decorated to look more festive. For shorter children, they could be cut down shorter or folded inward to half the size.

By Candy from Hector, MN

We get a lot of trick or treaters in my subdivision. I'd like to give them something other than candy, which they get plenty of elsewhere. I want it to be something they'll like. Does anyone have an idea or something they've done before that pleased the little ones?

Kelly from Dallas

Every Halloween we try to think of ways to keep the sugar consumption down. This year, we suggested that our daughter keep only her very favorite takings and put the rest aside to decorate a gingerbread house at the holidays.

She thinks this is a terrific idea, and it gives her something to look forward to after Halloween. She's already put some candy aside from a birthday party pinata. We all win!

By Natasha from Boston, MA

Tonight I was putting little packages of candy for the little children on Halloween. I punched a hole in the corner of the candy bag, after the seal on the top.

With Halloween just around the corner, many kids are already thinking about costumes, parties, and of course, candy! As a parent, I worry about the materialism attached to holidays, both big and small and the effect it has on our children as they grow up.

A parent or adult should always accompany younger children...