Trouble Getting a Blood Pressure Reading

For about a year I've been having trouble getting a blood pressure reading. Whether it's in a doctor's office, at home, or those machines in public places. It says, "EP-7, 8, or 9". I can't find an explanation for those codes. My doctor just laughed and said don't worry about it. But my father died 2 weeks after his doctor told him he had completely recovered and my mother's doctor misdiagnosed her cancer twice so I'm not very trusting right now. Does anyone know what's going on?

Jo from Hampton Roads, VA

I don't know the answer to your question. but I found this website that you might be able to ask them your same question and get answers. Is your arm so small that the reading is hard to be found with the cuffs they use? I have an unusual problem with mine as well when I have it checked at my doctor's office. I take mine at home and it's normal. I take it there and it's always much higher. They have only two cuff sizes they use and they are both smaller cuffs than the standard cuff. I know my machine works because my husband takes his here and then at the VA hospital and it's the same readings.

I have heard of white coat syndrome which is when you are nervous at doctor's and it gives false readings. I'm starting to wonder if I have that or they just have a "rigged machine" to give false readings in order to sell medicines unnecessarily. I sure hope that's not the case. I hope the link helps you. This web site stated if you have kidney disease or are a diabetic your readings can come up different. But I do not know. Here's the link:

By theseamstress

I work in a doctor's office. Our doctors would never laugh you off. I am sorry yours did. Try either buying a digital bp device and or a manual unit. I am not sure by your description if the office can't get your pressure. If they can get it, go there a couple times a week and have them take it. If they can't find it, you find another doctor. Hope this helps. (11/27/2007)

By sandy63

I have never been able to get any sort of blood pressure reading at those public machines. It has something to do with having "deep veins" and the machines can't pick them up. I've also had problems with various doctors getting accurate readings as well.

However, if my doctor laughed at any of my concerns, I would find another doctor. You probably have nothing to worry about, but to me, one of a doctor's main tasks is to reassure their patients, not laugh at their fears. (11/27/2007)

By azDana

Go to a different doctor. Only trust the spignometer at the doctor's office to give a valid blood pressure reading. These instruments need to be tested for accuracy from time to time. They get so they don't give accurate readings and need adjustments. (I'm a lay person so please forgive me on this. lol) Good luck. (12/03/2007)

By Carol in PA

Trust me when I tell you that the Dr.'s offices rigg the machine for higher readings to push medications. Learn how to take your own at home accurately, either the old fashioned way, or an automatic one that you can pick up at any Walgreen's or CVS. Verify for yourself. Always. Do not have a watch on the wrist you are taking your reading from, don't cross your legs, don't talk or fidget, and you should get an accurate reading.

Pressure Washing a House
Pressure Washing Your House
Checking Your Tire Pressure
Checking Your Tire Pressure
Pressure Cooker on White Background
Using A Pressure Cooker
Blood Pressure Reducing Breakfast
Naturally Reducing Blood Pressure