Trouble Making a Coffee Mug Chocolate Cake

I have a question about the chocolate cake in a mug. It was really easy to do but it was flat tasting. Not much chocolate flavor at all and I used a new bakers chocolate container. What did I do wrong?

Jamish from Tribune, KS

Trouble With Coffee Mug Chocolate Cake

I had the same result. It was fun to do and to watch baking but the flavor needs some tweaking. I'm going to play with it. Of course I'll have to eat all the "mistakes"! Darn! (09/15/2008)

By Grandma Margie

A dash of salt, a splash of vanilla extract, a spoonful of chopped nuts and a spoonful of mini chocolate chips will perk up your mug cake. Trust me! (grin) (09/16/2008)

By Sneezytwo

It turned out perfect when I made it. The only thing I did change was to measure the vanilla out to one half teaspoon. Also, I used heaping tablespoons of the cocoa. I sprayed the mug with cooking spray for easy removal and clean up. I sprinkled it with powdered sugar before eating. It was very rich and full of chocolate flavor. Adding extra ingredients as suggested would also add to the flavor. It was big enough to share but since no one was home when I made it, I was forced to eat the whole thing! This is really a dangerous recipe, the name suits it perfectly. (09/17/2008)

By Anne

The second time I tried it, I skipped the egg (flavor was too eggy for me), and added about 2 tablespoons raisins. I also found the flavor not very chocolatey. But it's a fun idea that just begs fooling around with until you get it the way you want it. (09/17/2008)

By Jantoo

I tried a different recipe that does not use an egg, doesn't boil up while cooking and turned out a better fluffier texture and a smaller serving. Here it is:

Microwave Cake in a cup

• A microwave safe cup, 12 oz. or around that.
  • Cooking spray
  • 2 Tbsp. flour
  • 1 and 1/2 Tbsp. sugar
  • 1/2 tsp. baking powder
  • 2 tsp. cocoa powder
  • A pinch of salt
  • 2 Tbsp. milk
  • 1/4 tsp. vanilla extract
  • 3/4 tsp. oil Spray your cup with cooking spray, just enough to coat the cup. In a bowl(I mixed it in the cup), mix together all your ingredients and stir well. Now pour this batter into your cup.

Put the cup in the microwave and cook it on full power for 60 seconds. Depending on the power of your microwave, and your altitude (go figure) you may have to cook the cake longer. Only cook in additional 15 second intervals, because an overcooked cake is no good, and it's even worse because you're microwaving it. Trust me, you think an overcooked cake out of the oven is dry and yucky, try having a solid wedge of dry microwave cake sometime. No fun.

Once your cake is finished, it should be nice and fluffy. Now to serve it.

Take a plate and a butter knife, and gently turn your cup over, letting the cake slide out of the cup. Guide it with soft presses of the butter knife, and once it's out, set the cup aside to be washed. (09/17/2008)

By Jeanie

I have another recipe for the chocolate mug cake and it is pretty much the same recipe as the one posted here except that it has 3 tablespoons of chocolate chips in it. That may be just what you need! Good luck! (09/18/2008)

By Squirrley

I just made 3 tonight. I found that adding a pinch of salt and a tablespoon more each of sugar and cocoa powder made it much more rich and flavorful. (10/11/2008)

By prairiegirl

The recipe doesn't call for salt, and it should. It makes all the difference. (11/29/2008)

By Noel L.

I agree, it needs tweaking. I add the chocolate chips too but then my grandchildren put chocolate syrup over cake before eating. This cake is the best when eaten warm. (12/09/2008)

By Mammy

I've made several of these mug cakes. I agree that they were flat tasting. I had been using whatever chocolate I had in the house. Then I finally bought Hershey's Cocoa and it has made a big difference.

I haven't done it, but I do agree that a dash of salt and splash of vanilla would probably made it better. It is still a great thing for someone who lives alone and can't eat a whole cake. After the holidays I want to try some variations and if they work, I'll post them. (12/23/2009)

By clynnaltemus

• Comments

Chocolate Mug Cake
    Coffee Mug Cake Recipes
    Coffee Mug Jam
    Making Coffee Mug Jam
    DIY Sharpie Mug
    Plain white mug for coffee or tea.
    Decorating a Mug
    Chocolate mug cake garnished with a sliced strawberry
    Five Minute Chocolate Mug Cake