Trouble Painting Laminate Counter Top

My counter tops are painted Malaya Red, and I am using Helsman oil based satin polyurethane. When I apply the coat it is beautiful and even, but when it dries it looks like I missed spots. I have sanded (220) twice now and I am wandering if it needs more coats or maybe if it is the depth of the color. Looking at the counters they are great, but if you look at an angle that is when you see the uneven look of the poly. Any help would be great.

Donna from Charleston, SC

Trouble Painting Laminate Counter Top

First, red is a hard color to paint. After 2 coats on my daughter's kitchen walls it still looked like we had missed some spots. It took 4 coats. Second, we painted her counter tops, sanded, primed and then painted with a latex. We sealed her's with a pour on product called Envirotex. It worked great. If you can't find this try an oil based sealer. Paint or spray on, let completely dry, sand lightly and paint or spray again. You may have to do this several times to get good even coverage. Good luck. If we did it anyone can. (06/28/2008)

By falldowngobump

painting a countertop
Painting a Laminate Counter Top
Laminate Furniture
Painting Laminate Furniture
Cleaning Laminate Flooring, Red dry mop cleaning laminate floors
Cleaning Laminate Flooring
Before photo of painted laminate countertop.
Polishing Counter Tops
Counter Top Dishwasher
Buying a Counter Top Dishwasher