Troubleshooting Electrical Outlet

I have an outlet that I plugged a vacuum into, the vac ran for about 5 seconds then quit. So I tried a coffee maker and same thing, the clock stayed on for about 10 seconds then nothing. What could be wrong with the outlet? The vac and the coffee maker work fine in other outlets.

By Kevin

Answers:

Troubleshooting Electrical Outlet

I would replace the electric outlet. Easy job to do. Just make sure the power is off to that plug. (06/29/2010)

By foxrun41

Troubleshooting Electrical Outlet

Unless you're really comfortable with electricity, call an electrician. I had an outlet on my back porch that worked intermittently and I let it go. Finally one day a house across the street burned down from the same problem. I called an electrician that day and had it fixed. (07/01/2010)

By Noella

Troubleshooting Electrical Outlet

Outlets can be changed out quickly if you are careful. Turn off the power, have something plugged into it before starting to verify. There are a number of tools to use, such an OHM meter. This is a 10 min job, but be careful if you are not sure. (07/01/2010)

By T&T Grandma

Man fixing and electrical outlet
Repairing an Electric Outlet
Plug Outlet
Getting Plugs to Stay in Outlets
Auto Accessory
Repairing an Auto Accessory Power Outlet
changing an outlet
Changing a 15 Amp Outlet to 20 Amps
Electrical Outlet
Adding a New Electrical Outlet
🎄