Troubleshooting Furnace Problems

Category Miscellaneous
Gloved hand using a paintbrush to clean furnace
You may want to try and narrow down the reason your furnace is not working properly, prior to calling a repair service. This is a guide about troubleshooting furnace problems.

This is not about the circuit breakers to the house. The furnace/air conditioner has a red button/reset switch inside the box connected to the furnace. A few weeks ago it popped. After a lot of trouble shooting, we determined it just needed to be reset. So we pushed the red button back in, reconnected the power, and turned it on. Now it's popped again, and I reset it. It is working fine now, but isn't it a bit unusual to have to reset so soon? Is the reset button faulty?

Answers

Best Answer

If this was a new computer, you would just go with turning it off and on again. LOL Do you have any sort of owners' manual for this furnace? Could you try googling the manufacturer to see if there is information on the website regarding this model of furnace or a Q&A section? I do not have a sniff about such things, so if this was my furnace, I would now phone my plumbing and heating guy, and have a chat with him. Since I am a long time customer, he might just consult with me on the phone, tell me it is nothing to worry about and just reset it, or he might come out to investigate and find out if there is some issue. If this is a rental unit, contact your landlord and insist that he figure out what the problem is (likely by calling in a professional).

Thanks for the suggestions, Louise B! I will find a manual and go from there.

I would call the repair service or the help line, They can better assist you with this problem and answer your questions on this. You might need a new part or something for it.