Troubleshooting Kenmore Refrigerator Ice Maker

My ice maker in my 2 year old Kenmore refrigerator stopped making ice. The troubleshooting section of the owner's manual was no help. Any suggestions?

David from Phila, PA

Answers:

Did maybe you replace a pipe in your house somewhere? We have had ours clog after some gunk/pipe dope break away and traveled with the water to the icemaker. That was an expensive lesson to learn. Maybe try unhooking the water supply and check to see if anything is plugging it. Also, now whenever anything stops working (this new electronic technology), I unplug it for a few minutes and plug it back in and it works perfectly. Not sure that would be it, but worth a try before you call a serviceman! Good luck! (01/29/2008)

By

We had 2 different problems with our fridges icemaker-possibly one of these will be your issue.

The first time, my sons friend thought it was funny to turn up the fridge and freezer controls to the max. It caused the water line to freeze (in mine you can see the water line inside the fridge). Once I turned it back down it thawed out and was fine.

The second time, our copper waterline sprung a small leak. You should be able to trace the line from the fridge to where it comes in. It is usually easy to see where there would be leakage.

Another thought might be to take out the storage bin and scrub everything you see with warm soapy water. Maybe you would notice something that could be a problem.

Good luck! (01/29/2008)

By Kathy

This will sound obvious, but make sure the wire arm that tells the icemaker it's full is DOWN. As the ice bin fills, the arm goes up to tell the machine to stop making more until some is used. But you can also just push the arm up to stop the icemaker. Maybe that happened by accident? (01/29/2008)

By Katie A.

My Whirlpool stopped making ice one time. I took out the container that holds the ice and looked at everything I could see. There was an ice blockage at the end of the water tube. Wrapped warm, wet dish rag around the end of tube, until it thawed and I could pull the piece of ice out. Hasn't happened since. (01/29/2008)

By lkoenig

I don't remember if mine was a Kenmore, but mine stopped working. I investigated and lo and behold there was an "on/off" switch way up where I could barely see. Something must have bumped it.

It's worth taking a look. (01/30/2008)

By Anna

Take out the ice bin, turn freezer temp. to the least cold dial possible. Turn hair dryer on high and go to town on heating up the ice maker section of your freezer. It works. (02/07/2008)

By Judith Walker

Ice Maker Manual
Kenmore Refrigerator Ice Maker Not Working
Kenmore Refrigerator
Kenmore Refrigerator Not Cooling
Refrigerator
Refrigerator's Ice Maker Not Making Ice
Crushed Ice
Ice Maker Only Dispensing Crushed Ice
Ice Maker
Ice Maker Not Dispensing Ice
🎄