Tuna Casserole Recipes

Category Casseroles
Tuna Casserole Recipes
An inexpensive, popular main dish can be made with tuna. This page contains tuna casseroles recipes.

Has anyone every tried putting 4 to 8 ounces of cream cheese, evaporated milk, and a small can of sliced mushrooms in their tuna casserole recipe? I did along with the normal ingredients of cream of mushroom soup and diced onions stirred into elbow macaroni. I fixed it last week and it was fantastically smooth and creamy. The family just loved it! They are asking me to fix it again and soon. Anyway, I just wanted to know if anyone has ever tried it before? If you haven't, do try it as a smooth twist on an old American favorite.

By Paula Jo from Lower Western NC Mountain Area

Quick, tasty and cheap meal that feeds four. So simple.

• 1 can tuna, drained
  • 1 can peas, drained
  • 1 small onion chopped
  • 1 box macaroni and cheese
  • 1/2 cup shredded cheddar

Directions:

Make the macaroni and cheese using the instructions on the box. While the noddle are cooking/boiling, add the the chopped onion so it will cook with the noodles. After the macaroni and cheese is made, add the tuna and the can of peas. Mix well and pour into a baking dish and sprinkle shredded cheddar on it. Bake for 20 minutes on 250 degrees F.

Servings: 4
Prep Time: 5 Minutes
Cooking Time: 40 Minutes

By Supooh from Waynesboro, VA

An old standby. Very good, easy to make, and cheap!

• 1 can cream of mushroom soup
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 1 can tuna, drained and flaked
  • 1 1/4 cups potato chips, crushed
  • 1 cup peas, cooked and drained

Directions:

Mix soup and milk in small casserole dish. Add tuna, 1 cup potato chips, and peas. Sprinkle top with remaining chips. Bake at 350 degrees F for 45 minutes.

Servings: 4
Prep Time: 15-20 Minutes
Cooking Time: 45 Minutes

By Robin from Washington, IA

A staple that can always be stretched to feed company.

Directions:

Partially cook the macaroni, drain. Add the soup and tuna stir. Add the rest of the ingredients and mix well. Bake 30 minutes at 350 degrees F.

Top with crunched potato chips. A good way to use up stale chips. Drizzle butter on them if they are too stale.

By latrtatr from Loup City, NE

The only real differences in this method and the oven method are that heating it on the stove-top forms a crust on the bottom and baking it forms a crust on the top.

It was more wonderful today than it was last night. I will definitely make this again!

• 1 can cream of mushroom soup ($1.57)
  • 1 1/3 can milk or powdered milk ($0.20c)
  • 2 cans tuna, drained ($2.00)
  • 1 partial sack regular potato chips ($2 - $4)
  • 1 can drained corn or peas (optional) ($1.00)
  • bottle soy or Worcestershire Sauce (optional) ($0.25)
  • bagged or canned french fried onion pieces (optional) ($3.00)

1. Prepare your tuna casserole how you normally would. I heated my 1 can of mushroom soup mixed with 1/3 can of instant powdered milk first.

2. Ad

3. After I drained 2 cans of tuna, I added it to the soup in the non-stick skillet and added as many potato chips as I was comfortable with adding, to take up moisture from the soup/milk.
  4. I wanted to add corn to this dish. It was drained and added to the pan. Normally I add one of 2 flavorings; Worcestershire Sauce or Soy Sauce (for kick) Last night I added Soy Sauce.
  5. I tossed in a few French Fried Onions which I don't always add but I had some on hand. This was allowed to heat until it was the consistency I wanted it. Then salt and pepper to taste.

Serving Idea: carrot, celery sticks or other vegetable tray items, pickled beets or other favored pickles

When I make tuna casserole, I add sour cream and cream cheese to Cream of Mushroom soup.

Combine soup, milk, and onion. Heat to boiling. Sprinkle lemon juice over tuna. Alternate layers of tuna and chips, then cover with soup mixture. Season with salt and pepper.

This is a guide about creamy tuna casserole. This is a simple to make creamy, cheesy tuna casserole that is sure to please.

creamy tuna casserole

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

Super easy and kid friendly.

Love this old standby, too!

In a 1 1/2 quart casserole blend soup, milk and minced onion. Stir in tuna, cooked spaghetti and green beans. Circle top with buttered crumbs. Bake at 350 degrees F for 30 minutes.

Cook broccoli, no salt, arrange in casserole dish. Flake tuna over broccoli. Heat soup, milk and cheese until melted. Pour over tuna. Combine bread crumbs and margarine.

Combine first 5 ingredients and form into balls. Place tuna balls in buttered casserole dish. Combine the soup and the milks; pour over the tuna balls. Bake at 350 degrees F for 1 hour.

Empty the tuna and soup into a 9x13 inch casserole dish. Fill the two soup cans with milk and add it to the dish as well. Crunch up the bag of potato chips and add it to the dish.

Saute' onion and celery in butter until celery is soft. Combine undiluted soup and water. Add onions and celery, soy sauce, pepper, Tabasco and tuna.

Take the tuna and put into a sauce pan w/the water;stir w/whisk until lumps are out. Add the butter, salt and pepper simmer until very hot. Serve soup mixture over the cooked rice.

I have tried many tuna casseroles and found one that I really like. It is Stouffer's microwave tuna casserole. It has tuna, noodles, peas, mushrooms, and sauce.

Does anyone have a recipe like this? I like that the sauce is not too thick or too creamy.
I appreciate your help.

By Annie from Columbia, MO

Answer Was this helpful? 1

Hi Annie, I love the microwave Stouffer's tuna casserole, too. I haven't tried to do so yet, but I think it would be fairly easy to recreate at home.

Based on a casserole that would make 4 large or 6 medium servings, this would be my first attempt: Try at your own risk!

Dried pasta noodles for 4-6 servings

3/4 cup frozen green peas (rinsed gently under warm water to thaw)

2, 5 oz. cans of tuna, drained and flaked

1 small (?oz?) can of mushroom pieces, drained

1/3 cup small diced celery stalk

1 regular sized (?oz?) can of cream of chicken concentrate soup

- Plus 1/4 to 1/3 can (the soup can) of milk (just enough to thin the concentrated soup, but not enough to make it runny)

1 cup of fine bread crumbs

2 T Butter, melted

Spray vegetable oil (Pam)

1. Cook the noodles one or two minutes less than package directions. Drain and pour into large mixing bowl.

2. Add the peas, tuna, mushrooms and celery. Stir to combine.

3. In a 2 or 3 cup liquid measure, thoroughly mix the soup and milk. Pour over noodle mixture and stir well to coat.

4. Rinse out the liquid measure cup and use it to melt the butter in the microwave. (Watch this, don't let the butter start cooking!)

5. Remove measure cup from microwave and stir in bread crumbs to coat.

6. Spray casserole dish with Pam then pour in noodle mix. Top evenly with the bread crumbs.

Still just experimenting here, but I'd probably bake it at 350 to 375 degrees, covered, for about 35 minutes, then uncover, to toast up the bread crumb topping, and cook for another 10 minutes or so.

Again, this is untested, so try at your own risk, but it sure seems like this should come out close to the Stouffer's frozen tuna casserole. Good luck and happy eats. :)

KansasCindy,

This sounds good, I will try it on Tuesday.

Can't wait. Thank you,

Annie

This is a recipe a cousin gave me (over 40 yrs ago).

1 Mac and Cheese dinner (I use Kraft)

(it calls for 1/4 cup milk and 1/2 stick margarine)

1 6 oz can tuna or chicken is good also

1 can mushroom or cream of chicken soup (when making a double recipe, I use one can of each) You can also buy Chicken Mushroom Soup.

1 can peas, drained

2 stalks celery of sm can of water chestnuts chopped

Topping

1/2 stick margarine melted

4-5 sliecs of bread crumbled

Fix dinner as recommended on package, add tuna, soup, peas celery, and pour into casserole dish. Melt 1/2 stick margarine and mix with bread crumbs. Put on top of casserole and bake at 350 for 30 minutes.

Anyone that has tried it likes it. I have people ask for it at dinners and family reunions.

Goes good with fruit or jello salad.

A great way to disguise leftovers!

• 1 can Tuna
  • leftover Green Bean Casserole
  • 2 cups pasta, cooked
  • 2-3 Tbsp. of mayonnaise
  • 1-2 Tbsp. Romano cheese
  • breadcrumbs

Directions:

Mix your leftover green bean casserole with about 2 cups of cooked pasta. Add some mayonnaise until you get a nice consistency and stir in the cheese. Top with breadcrumbs and cook at 350 degrees F until top is brown and casserole is bubbly.

By Stephanie from Pittsgrove, NJ

Ingredients

• 1 pkg. egg noodles
  • 1 can peas
  • 1 stick margarine
  • 1 onion, diced
  • 1 cup evaporated or whole milk
  • 2 cup Velveeta cheese
  • 1-2 cans chunk tuna
  • 1 cup ground potato chips

Directions

Boil noodles in large pot. While noodles are boiling, drain peas in strainer in the sink and leave. In a skillet, melt butter and fry onion. Then add milk to onion mixture and then cheese until melted. Drain noodles with peas and put into baking dish. Add tuna and cheese mixture and stir all together. Top with potato chips and cover. Bake in 350 degree F oven for 20-25 minutes.

By Robin from Washington, IA

Ingredients

• 1 large can tuna fish
  • 1 cup diced boiled carrots
  • 1 cup peas
  • 1 cup celery, cut fine
  • 1 Tbsp. onion
  • 2 cups boiled macaroni
  • 1 tsp. salt
  • 1/8 tsp. pepper
  • 1 1/2 cups medium white sauce
  • 1/2 cup cracker crumbs

Directions

Butter a baking dish generously. Flake the tuna fish and mix all vegetables, macaroni and seasonings. Place in the baking dish. Pour the white sauce over the mixture and sprinkle top with cracker crumbs. Bake in 350 degree F oven for 45 minutes.

By Robin from Washington, IA

Answers:

Tuna Casserole

That's a great recipe. I've also found out that getting a pack of dry ranch mix [get store brand, it's less than a dollar] the kind which requires buttermilk to be added, and when I make casseroles with a cream sauce, just add a pinch of the powder, 1/2 teaspoon at the most, less would do fine, and it comes close to the taste of tuna helper for those who like it, but as your recipe shows, when you make it at home, you will get a casserole which serves more. (10/07/2009)

By PIKKA

Ingredients

White Sauce:

• 2 Tbsp. flour
  • 2 Tbsp. margarine or butter
  • 1 tsp. salt
  • 1/4 tsp. pepper
  • 1 cup milk

• 1 can tuna
  • 1 Tbsp. lemon juice
  • 1 1/2 cup soft bread crumbs
  • 1/2 cup celery, cut fine
  • 1/4 cup chopped pimiento
  • 1 egg, slightly beaten
  • 1 can refrigerator biscuits

Directions

For Sauce: Melt butter or margarine in pan. Add flour, salt and pepper. Mix well, gradually add milk and stir constantly until sauce becomes thick. Set aside.

Put tuna in a large bowl and flake with a fork; add lemon juice. Add other ingredients and pour into white sauce. Mix well and pour into greased casserole. Casserole may be frozen at this point for use at a later date. Bake uncovered at 350 degrees F for 30 minutes. Remove from oven, add biscuits to the top and bake 15 minutes more.

By Robin from Washington, IA

A good meal, that will be ready in less than a hour.

Ingredients

• 1 small can of tuna fish
  • 1 10 3/4 can of cream of mushroom soup
  • 1/2 soup can of milk
  • 1 small package of egg noodles
  • grated cheese (optional)
  • diced onions (optional)

Directions

Cook the noodles as directed on package, drain. In a 2 quart casserole dish mix (onions) soup, milk and tuna fish, add noodles and stir until noodles are well coated. Top with grated cheese. Cover and bake at 350 degrees F for 30 to 45 minutes. This can also be microwaved for 10 minutes. I have used canned chicken and cream of celery soup for a change. This will feed a family of 4.

By Craftingblues from Lewistown, MT

Answers:

Tuna Casserole

Just wondering how you can say it will feed a family of 4 when it has very little protein and lots of carbs after being split 4 ways. What else would you feed your family to go along with this casserole to fill them up and keep them from being hungry 2 hours later? (08/08/2006)

By cookwie

Tuna Casserole

Actually, I've been making this recipe (almost exactly the same. I leave out the diced onions and use elbow macaroni instead of egg noodles.) for years. In fact, we made it for supper tonight for the family (three adults, one child) and it filled us up very well. None of us got hungry afterwards, though I did make peas to go with it. We even have some left over for lunch tomorrow. It's quite filling and even my picky 10 year old likes it. (08/08/2006)

By TxSavr

Tuna Casserole

This recipe does sound yummy. I have filed it. Would make it with noodles that have some whole grain.
Would probably serve it with a plain veg on the side, whole grain rolls as DH loves his bread, and salad with added protein.

A salad dressing can have protein if you take cottage cheese and liquify it in the blender. At first it seems as though nothing is going to happen, and then it works. Add spices, a little oil and you now have a higher protein salad dressing.

A composed casserole doesn't need a fussy side dish, so the veg might be steamed broccoli (a strong flavor to stand up to the casserole) or green beans (a weak flavor that wouldn't stand out at all).

Dessert could be a couple of pieces of sliced apple or orange per person. Even a few blueberries if in season.

A small serving of carb at the end of the meal helps to retain the fullness and signals the brain to stop eating. (08/09/2006)

By cookwie

Tuna Casserole

I also add greenpepper. (08/09/2006)

By Willem

Follow the directions on the package for cooking the rice. While the rice is cooking, place the milk, cheese, salt and pepper in the double boiler and beat until well blended and smooth, stirring occasionally.

Alternate tuna, 1 3/4 cups potato chips and eggs in greased 1 1/2 qt. casserole. Combine milk and soup; pour over casserole.

Cook egg noodles in water with 1 tsp. salt. Put cans of tuna and soup together and heat. Add water. Drain noodles and place in pan. Coat with butter. add tuna and soup mixture. Place in oven at 375 degrees F for 15 minutes.

Does anyone have a recipe for a tuna casserole that is similar to the frozen Stouffer's Tuna Casserole entree.

Drain beans, add enough water to bean liquid to make 1 1/4 cups. Combine with undiluted soup in saucepan. Stir in beans, tuna, onion, and thyme. Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Add rice to mixture.

Blend soup and milk; stir in tuna, peas and 1 cup potato chips. Spoon into 1 qt. casserole.

Melt butter or margarine. Stir in flour until smooth. Add milk. Cook over medium heat, stirring, until moderately thick.