Altering Pants Into Capris

Category Alterations
Altering Pants Into Capris
Give an older or unused pair of long pants a new lease on fashion life by cutting them down into capris. This is a guide about altering pants into capris.

I had a pair of casual pants with legs that were too wide and out of style. The pants were almost brand new because I would keep thinking I would wear them, but never did. I decided that they would be perfect for cutting down for capris. You can do this project alone, but it does help to have someone assist with the measuring.

Total Time: 1.5 hours

• tape measure
  • scissors
  • ruler
  • matching thread
  • pins
  • sewing machine

1. First, I measured a couple of pairs of capris that I have to get a general idea of how long they were in the inseam.
  2. Next, I measured the remaining length. I needed to cut off 12 inches to get the length I wanted after hemming.
  3. Using a ruler I made marks on the wrong side of the legs at 12 inches.
  4. Ad
  5. I connected the marks to create a cutting line.
  6. Ad
  7. I cut up the side seam and then cut off the pant legs.
  8. I tried the pants back on and we turned them up and pinned for the finished length.
  9. Ad
  10. I needed to turn up 2.5 inches to get the desired length. I first turned up 1.25 inches and pinned it. Then I turned up the second 1.25 inches removing pins and repinning as I went.
  11. Finally, I sewed two parallel stitched lines to finish the hem edge. You can finish any way you like.
  12. Ad
  13. Here they are, ready to wear.

Videos

You can easily transform a pair of pants that have frayed bottoms into a new pair of capris! Follow the directions in this video to lean how.