Altering Pants Into Capris
Give an older or unused pair of long pants a new lease on fashion life by cutting them down into capris. This is a guide about altering pants into capris
Share on ThriftyFunThis guide contains the following solutions. Have something to add? Please share your solution!
I had a pair of casual pants with legs that were too wide and out of style. The pants were almost brand new because I would keep thinking I would wear them, but never did. I decided that they would be perfect for cutting down for capris. You can do this project alone, but it does help to have someone assist with the measuring.
Total Time: 1.5 hours
- tape measure
- matching thread
- sewing machine
- First, I measured a couple of pairs of capris that I have to get a general idea of how long they were in the inseam.
- Next, I measured the remaining length. I needed to cut off 12 inches to get the length I wanted after hemming.
- Using a ruler I made marks on the wrong side of the legs at 12 inches.
- I connected the marks to create a cutting line.
- I cut up the side seam and then cut off the pant legs.
- I tried the pants back on and we turned them up and pinned for the finished length.
- I needed to turn up 2.5 inches to get the desired length. I first turned up 1.25 inches and pinned it. Then I turned up the second 1.25 inches removing pins and repinning as I went.
- Finally, I sewed two parallel stitched lines to finish the hem edge. You can finish any way you like.
- Here they are, ready to wear.
December 15, 20140 found this helpful
You can easily transform a pair of pants that have frayed bottoms into a new pair of capris! Follow the directions in this video to lean how.