Two Year Old Birthday Ideas

I'm having a birthday party for my two year old son. He loves cars so I thought I would follow along the lines of the Disney movie "Cars". We are going to have red and black balloons, and streamers for decorations. Also, color coordinated plates and cups, etc. A car cake is already planned, as well.

However, I would love ideas on treat bags for the kids (there will be both boys and girls at the party), also what kind of food to serve. I would appreciate any ideas on some really easy and short games. We are mostly going to just let the kids play and the adults visit. Thanks.

By morbetomommy from KS

Answers:

Two Year Old Birthday Ideas

It's been a long time since my boys were 2, but I don't think you have to worry about games. Two year olds don't understand the whole concept of games. I like the suggestion of bubbles, and the lawn sprinkler idea. Two year olds prefer to just play. I would put little cars in the treat bags for both boys and girls, and also bubbles to take home. I don't know what is the norm anymore for how much you put in the bag. In my day, a small toy or two, and maybe some sort of candy. (One time, for 6 year olds, I gave them all golf tubes, to use as swords/ light sabers.) Maybe some sort of ball, big enough for them, not one of those little bouncy ones that bigger kids like.

As for food, don't get too fancy. Have stuff that the kids like to eat: hot dogs, maybe, finger food like carrot sticks and dip. You might have something a little more elaborate for the adults: smokies or burgers.

Do not have any really organized games. 2 year olds don't understand that. Stuff like musical chairs and the present unwrapping game are not for them. Seven year olds have trouble with the present unwrapping game. They want the present. (07/30/2009)

By louel53