Unclogging a Bathroom Sink

How do you unclog a bathroom sink?

Kathleen from Doylestown, PA

Answers:

How Do You De-Clog a Sink Drain?

I have used the baking soda and vinegar remedy. Also, I have used ammonia for kitchen sinks as it dissolves grease, but I LOVE the Nair idea for the bathroom! I will definitely try that the next time I get a slow draining bathroom sink. Thanks! (09/24/2008)

By MiraY

How Do You De-Clog a Sink Drain?

If you go to mrsfixit.com it tells how to do that very thing and lots of other great info. Very easy, did it following her instructions but don't remember the instructions. If your husband is like mine you have to learn to do some stuff yourself. (09/25/2008)

By loridawn1956

How Do You De-Clog a Sink Drain?

It may just be clogged with hair in the drain. Our sink has the drain cap that can screw off, and when I removed it I noticed some hair in the drain. I got a piece of wire, bent the end and started to fish out the hair. What I thought were a few hairs ended up to a huge ball of hair. After a few minutes all the hair was gone and the drains flowed freely. (09/26/2008)

By PICO

How Do You De-Clog a Sink Drain?

Sometimes I use Dawn and sometimes I use baking soda and vinegar and sometimes I use "Rid X", but it depends on the clog as to what is going to work. Hot water is hotter if you heat up sugar water and pour it directly down the drain. I do this in combination with the other "cures" when necessary. I never use bleach nor any harsh chemicals.

If these easy solutions do not work, your plumbing may not be getting enough air. Two home solutions are: use your shop vac and vacuum out your system by using duct tape to gradually reduce the size of your vacuum hose to dishwasher supply line size (feed this tube down the hole into the toilet tank or into the drain part of the toilet or sink or into the vent on top of your house); the other solution is to buy a "studor vent" (which works by gravity so be sure to install it upright) and talk to your journeyman plumber at Home Depot several times so that you use the easy fernco technique to install it.

This will give your system more air without having to open up your walls and replace old vents and sometimes keep you from having to go on the roof. I am an old woman journeyman plumber and often forget the words for things, but I can help you if you are patient with me. Sometimes I think baking soda and a cheap gallon of distilled vinegar from Save-a-Lot are really just giving the system temporary air (but I am not sure because this is also a very powerful cleaning and deodorizing combination, I know, because I first majored in science). A shop vac, used to suck out your system, sometimes works all by itself, also.

(09/30/2008)

By DebbyLynn

Unclogging a Bathroom Sink

I bought a product for less than $5 that I think was by the Drano company. Anyway, you covered the water vent and turned the can upside down and shot air into the clogged sink and it was amazing! The sink had been really jammed with hair and toothpaste. It is still clear and works great. (10/13/2008)

By Tracer5497

Clearing a Clogged Bathtub Drain, Pulling Hair From Clogged Drain
Clearing a Clogged Bathroom Sink
Clean white bathroom sink.
Keeping Your Bathroom Sink Clean
Replacing a Bathroom Faucet, Plumber Replacing Bathroom Faucet
Replacing a Bathroom Faucet
Removing rust stains from a sink.
Removing Rust Stains from a Sink
Sink with hair dye stains
Removing Hair Dye from a Bathroom Sink
🎄