Unclogging a Shower Drain

The drain in our shower is totally clogged. I have tried Liquid Plumber, Drano, and boiling water. None have helped to unclog it. Any ideas?

Susan from Lake Villa, IL

Answers:

Unclogging a Shower Drain

How about a bit of prevention for those of you using bleach and chemicals such as Drano. Buy a drain catcher (not sure of correct name) to keep hair from clogging the drain. The drain catcher either sits inside the drain (they come in different diameters) or one that sits on top of the drain. Please don't pour chemicals into the sewage system. Our world is polluted so much already. Thanks. (09/24/2008)

By SuzyQ

Unclogging a Shower Drain

I agree with SuzyQ! One more thing about using chemicals to unclog a drain beyond the issue of our environment is, especially if it's old piping, you are risking the chemicals eating through the pipes and causing water leak damage and huge repair bills :-(

Simply buy or rent a plumbing snake and make sure you have a hair catcher in the drain from now on. (09/26/2008)

By Deeli

Unclogging a Shower Drain

My sink and shower both were clogged and I tried everything. Our shower and sink had the drain cap that can screw off, when I removed it I noticed some hair in the drain. I got a piece of wire, bent the end and started to fish out the hair. What I thought were a few hairs ended up to a huge ball of hair. After a few minutes all the hair was gone and the drains flowed freely (09/26/2008)

By PICO

Unclogging a Shower Drain

Pouring baking soda and vinegar down a clogged drain has done the trick for me.
Best of luck to ya. (09/26/2008)

By Alexander D

Unclogging a Shower Drain

Try a plumber's snake. You can get a small one at the hardware store for about 10-20 dollars, and snake the drain. We did this, and all our other drains cleared up too. (09/26/2008)

By denise w

Unclogging a Shower Drain

Shower drains usually are clogged from hair. Just unscrew the drain cover and stick a long piece of wire down it to get the hair out. In the future, clean the hair off the drain after every shower to avoid having this problem.

I also use baking soda and vinegar in the drain once a month just to keep it clear. (09/27/2008)

By Stngray

Shower drain with hair
Unclogging a Shower Drain
Metal sink drain.
Getting Rid of Drain Flies
Repairing a Leaky Shower Valve
Repairing a Leaky Shower Valve
clogged toilet
Unclogging a Drain or Toilet Attached to a Septic System
Shower Enclosure
Cleaning a Shower Enclosure
🎉
🎄