Unclogging a Sink

How do I unplug a backed up sink?

By dddimensions from UT

Answers:

Unclogging a Sink

My drain was clogged for just about a year and unfortunately the clog was just past the air vent so plunging would not work. Spread out over the year I went through 3 bottles of drain opener and a 4th one was the kind where two chemicals mix from Drain-O, numerous applications of vinegar and baking soda even trying hair conditioner that someone recommended here on Thrifty Fun. What finely worked was for a week I poured in straight chlorine bleach until I could see it just to the top of the drain opening, I wasn't consistent it could be every day then skip a day or 2 whenever I could think of it, when I poured bleach in it the amounts would very each time.

I used almost a gallon, then 1 day when I was pouring the bleach in it never came to the top of the drain opening, so I turned on the hot water and let it run for good 5 minutes. My drain is finally opened. Good luck with yours.
(06/26/2009)

By BABBIE

Unclogging a Sink

Depending on what is clogging the drain, there are different approaches. I once moved into an apartment that had straws and all kinds of junk down the drain that simply needed to be removed.

1. Pour one cup of baking soda down the drain. Follow with one cup of vinegar. 10-30 minutes later follow with a whole pot of boiling water.

2. If the first idea didn't work, pour one cup of washing soda down the drain. (washing soda is more alkaline 11.0) than baking soda. Follow with one cup of vinegar. 10-30 minutes later pour a large pot of boiling water down the drain. Continue with 2-3 pots of boiling water if you think it is beginning to clear.

3. If it still won't budge, get a bucket and start disconnecting the plumbing directly underneath the sink and see if you can't remove what may be clogging the drain, i.e., solid items that chemicals will not remove.

4. If all else fails, call a plumber.
(06/27/2009)

By Carly34

Sink drain with water running into sink.
Clearing a Clogged Kitchen Sink Drain
kitchen sink
Unclogging a Garbage Disposal
Removing rust stains from a sink.
Removing Rust Stains from a Sink
clogged toilet
Unclogging a Drain or Toilet Attached to a Septic System
Sink with hair dye stains
Removing Hair Dye from a Bathroom Sink
🎉
🎄