Unclogging a Sink With a Garbage Disposal

Unclogged double kitchen sink with garbage disposal? Easy!

If your kitchen sink has standing water in it and the pipes underneath are clear, the clog is probably in the main drain pipe. Try this BEFORE you call a plumber.

What you will need: rubber gloves, old rag, and disposal rubber stopper.

With rubber gloves on, place the disposal rubber stopper in the sink drain. Turn on your disposal while holding the stopper firm in the sink side (it will have a tendency to "pop out").

Turn on the disposal for a short period (no need to run water; you have enough).

As the water level gets lower, use the rag to cover the disposal drain, it's going to start spitting out water and "junk." The disposal will start filling up with water again, repeat the process until all water is gone.

You may need to do this several times depending on the water level. Be sure your disposal side has the standing water in it before you turn it on or you will burn out the motor.

When all standing water is gone, run the disposal as usual. Done!

No need for a plumber, plunger, snake, or bail out the water with a bucket. Yuck!

Warning! Do not do this if you have used any product such as Drano!

By mare1909 from The Badger State, WI

I had a clogged sink due to potato peelings and carrot peelings. This suggestion never would have worked. The plumbing was really hosed up. What I had to do was open up the plumbing under the sink and then pull all those peelings out. I never use the garbage disposal anymore because of that. My male neighbor helped me get the plumbing under the sink open and he also helped me close it up, but I had to spend quite a bit of time pulling all the junk out of the pipe. (10/26/2009)

By rosehips

Sink drain with water running into sink.
Clearing a Clogged Kitchen Sink Drain
Repairing a Garbage Disposal (Disposer), Man's hands holding a power screwdriver to a garbage disposal.
Repairing a Garbage Disposal (Disposer)
Celery and Banana Going into Garbage Disposal
Cleaning a Garbage Disposal
kitchen sink
Unclogging a Garbage Disposal
Clean garbage disposal drain.
Keeping Garbage Disposal Smelling Fresh