Browsing: Unclogging a Toilet

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Unclogging a Toilet

When this fixture gets blocked, it's important to determine the cause. This guide is about unclogging a toilet.

Unclogging a Toilet
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

March 12, 2011 Flag

How do I unclog a toilet?

By Tisha from Stockbridge, GA

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

The best way is to purchase a plumbing "snake" from a home improvement store and use it to run down your plumbing line from the toilet to the sewer. It should unblock any obstruction you have in your line. With kids it is always a good idea to have one handy, lol!

Read More Answers...

January 16, 2015 Flag

I recently read about a product that wil clear a toilet clogged with feminine products.
Do you know what it is?

By P Coolick

Best Answer

Some people used dish washing and hot water. Other people used vinegar and baking soda. However, I personally found a product on Amazon named Toilet Treatment Pro. It is a natural enzyme, specifically for unclogging toilets. It's helpful in my case, which was the clog from toilet paper. But, I think it can eliminate toilet clog from organic materials only (from its website). So, if your toilets are clogged from plastic bags or toys, it probably won't help.

Read More Answers...

January 8, 2010 Flag

Has anyone with a septic tank used the soap and hot water method to unclog toilets? Would this damage your septic tank?

By Billy from Rocky Mount, NC

Best Answer

It works and will not harm it. In fact, most commercial products don't harm them either. Just read the label on the container.

Read More Answers...

May 2, 2005 Flag

I did a dumb thing. I didn't realize that it was bad to flush cat poop down the toilet. I would scoop his litter box and flush the feces down the toilet. The litter was just regular clay litter, and I would shake all access litter off, but there was still pieces stuck to the feces.

It didn't cause damage at first so I didn't see a problem, but one day it backed up. Ever since, it has been semi clogged and will clog up easily. We have tried plunging but it is not helping. What should I do?

Lacy

Best Answer

It's time for a plumber's snake. You can get one at the hardware. Fairly straight-forward on how to use.

Read More Answers...

October 20, 2014 Flag

I'm washing clothes the day before yesterday. I didn't know that I had thrown the laundry brush together with the used water into the toilet. Then it goes, we tried to use a plunger and heavy water. I did use a hanger, but it didn't work. I need your help. Should I call the plumber?

By Mae

I had a VERY similar incident with a large towel getting stuck way down. We finally had to unscrew the entire toilet from the floor and there it was. Removed it easily. Sounds difficult to take up the toilet, but it truly isn't. Sorry this happened to you.

May 11, 2013 Flag

My son flushed 5 thick baby wipes down the toilet. They went down, but now the toilet water pressure is slow and when it flushes you can hear that something is stuck. I put my hand in there and can't find where it is stuck. Should I pour something in there to eat or disintegrate the wipes? Please help it's a one year old toilet.

By Fina

Have you tried running a plumbing snake down there to dislodge the wipes? You may even be able to 'snag' them and pull them out of the line.

You can find a snake at any big-box or hardware store for under $20USD. A 5-6 foot plumbing snake is a wonderful thing to have tucked into the tool box especially in a home with smaller children (ask me how I know this:). It's a very easy to use tool and stores compactly:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Cobra-Pro ... Auger-Each/21910136?findingMethod=rr

For tips on using one of these tools:

http://www.familyhandyman.com/DIY-P ... how-to-fix-a-clogged-toilet/View-All

Read More Answers...

October 21, 2008 Flag

If the Closet Auger, Plunger and Dish Detergent Failed to unclog your toilet, try this!

I used the auger, plunger, and the dish soap resulting in a number of failed attempts. As I read several home improvement books online, the note that stuck in my head was entitled, "how to check if the upper flush holes are not clogged, by using a mirror". These holes are located out of sight, in the upper portion (underside) of the bowl. Anyway, if the goal is to maintain a good seal so that you can obtain the force needed to unclog the toilet, I suddenly realized that every time I thrust the plunger, more air was being directed from the upper flush holes, than the lower portion of the bowl. This decreased the force going into the desired location (lower portion of the bowl).

Solution: I took a clear plastic bag, cut a hole in the top, placed the handle of the plunger through the hole, to help prevent anything from splashing from the bowl, and I tucked the remainder of the plastic bag under the underside of the toilet to block some of the upper flush holes.

Despite not being able to block all of the upper flush holes, the few I did effectively block were enough to strengthened and re-direct the force of air going into the lower portion of the bowl, where the plunger was placed. Instantly my toilet was unclogged!

By majorshadow from San Diego, CA

March 12, 2011 Flag

How do you unclog a toilet?

By Joann

Answers:

Unclogging a Toilet

You can get an auger (also called a snake) and run that through the line to try and snag/push/break up the clog. (01/07/2011)

By gogalyboo

Unclogging a Toilet

This always works for me. Get a plastic bucket, fill it up from the tub spigot. Pour it all at once into the toilet. The pressure of the water always pushes down the clog. Be careful not to splash foul water onto the floor or be ready to clean up splashing if it happens. For some reason it does not overflow, but it all goes down. (01/08/2011)

By OhioGirl

Unclogging a Toilet

Dish detergent and hot water works. Always try the plunger first. If that doesn't work after an hour try this remedy. Make sure to empty out as much water from the toilet bowl as possible. Then pour half cup of dish detergent in bowl. Let sit 15 minutes. Then pour in pot a hot (not boiling) water. Let sit 15 minutes, then start plunging again. If it doesn't work right away. Let it sit for 15 minutes more. When you come back you should notice that the water has gone down a little, then start plunging again. That should do it. This works and is better than buying an augur or paying a plumber. Good luck! Also, try not to flush baby wipes and cut down on the 2ply and 3ply TP. (01/15/2011)

By SEVENEMZ

Unclogging a Toilet

The Dawn and very warm water worked great for me too! I am so thrilled. I used a different dish detergent first, but then later tried some Dawn and it did the trick! Thanks for the great tip! (01/15/2011)

By cmwolfe00

January 6, 2011 Flag

I recently flushed a bunch of Clorox wipes down the toilet and now it's really clogged. I've tried plunging it and that's not helping.

Any suggestions?

By Alexi from Medford, OR

Answers:

Unclogging a Toilet

Have you looked in your clean-out? We had some problems with toilets backing up, which was made worse by "flushable" wipes. Just trying to determine if the clog is in the house, or the line outside the house comes first. After you figure out where the clog is, you can get an auger (also called a snake) and run that through the line to try and snag/push/break up the clog.

In our case, it had to do with the pipe outside being damaged (previous homeowner) and a shoddy repair. We'd first try to snake it ourselves, but would end up calling a professional. Finally we had them put a camera down the line to see what the problem was. Voila!

I hope that you get that toilet unclogged - I know that it's no fun. (11/09/2010)

By mrs.story

Unclogging a Toilet

A toilet snake works. (11/20/2010)

By takelababy

Unclogging a Toilet

I tried the soap and hot water method and all I got was a foamy toilet and a ticked off plumber!
My recommendation is don't do this try something else first especially if it is clogged with toilet paper! (11/24/2010)

By noneofurbiz

Unclogging a Toilet

I just tried the dish soap method after hours of having a clogged toilet and it worked! I put 1/2 of cup of the soap in then waited an hour, boiled a teapot of water and poured it in, waited another 15 minutes and then tried to flush.

When the water started to rise I started plunging and it took a couple minutes but eventually the water finally passed through like normal. I am so thankful for this method! (12/10/2010)

By kirstenanna

Unclogging a Toilet-Dish Soap Method

I was extremely skeptical of the dish soap solution. After more than 6 hours of plunging and snaking, off and on of course, I gave the dish soap a try. Disastrous doesn't even begin to cover it. Plunging a toilet full of dish soap creates massive suds.

Needless to say, I won't be doing that again. I've snaked and plunged and took the trap cap off in the basement to be drowned 3 times in toilet water in the basement. I decided to get some Roebic K-67 and let it sit over night. We'll see what happens in the morning.

By the way, it was the flushable wipes that clogged the toilet. I can't even begin to tell you how disgusting I feel right now, no shower, no toilet. (12/17/2010)

By 17diy17

Unclogging a Toilet

Oh my god did the dish soap method work!
I was saved the embarrassment of calling a plumber after my toilet was clogged for around 3 days. I had no plunger or anything. In previous instances, pouring some bleach in the toilet and letting it sit overnight had worked, but not this time.

I poured the dish soap in and used a toilet brush as a makeshift plunger, then let it sit while I boiled water. I dumped the water in and "plunged" again. I trued flushing and at first it didn't work, the water just rose to the rim of the toilet. I "plunged" frantically again and suddenly it whooshed all down!
Thanks! (12/23/2010)

By devanneallover

Unclogging a Toilet

I am the world's biggest skeptic and I am now a believer. Spent three days trying to unclog a toilet, never did figure out what the issue was, with a plunger and a snake. In twenty minutes I solved the problem following the instructions and am going to tell everyone I know about this solution. (12/24/2010)

By slhennes

November 9, 2010 Flag

How can I unclog a toilet?

September 30, 2010 Flag

My 2 year old son dumped 2 full dishes of cat food in the toilet and flushed it. I have been plunging for 3 hours and it's still not unclogged. What do I do?

July 5, 2010 Flag

How can I unclog a toilet? I have tried most over the counter products.

April 13, 2010 Flag

How do I unclog a toilet?

February 25, 2010 Flag

How do you unclog a toilet?

January 27, 2010 Flag

What is the soap trick to unclog a toilet?

November 16, 2009 Flag

My latrine is jammed. The water is not going down. It seems the drain is not fully open.

August 11, 2009 Flag

How do I unplug a toilet?

June 16, 2009 Flag

I need advice! I have two toilets (back to back) that are clogged. The last guy snaked it all the way to the septic. He recommends I replace the toilets. Can you please give me suggestions?

March 4, 2009 Flag

How do I unclog a toilet?

January 18, 2009 Flag

I have a plugged toilet and the plunger doesn't help. Any suggestions?

December 30, 2008 Flag

How can I find ideas to unclog a toilet?

December 11, 2008 Flag

How do I repair a clogged toilet?

December 2, 2008 Flag

Do you have any ideas on how to unclog a toilet without calling a plumber?

October 20, 2008 Flag

Tips to help you unclog a stuck toilet. How can I unclog my toilet?

February 8, 2008 Flag

March 2, 2007 Flag

Tips to help you unclog a stuck toilet.

Home and Garden Home Improvement Maintenance and RepairFebruary 6, 2013
kitchen sink
Unclogging a Garbage Disposal
clogged toilet
Unclogging a Drain or Toilet Attached to a Septic System
Toilet Brush Head
Toilet Brush Head Stuck in Toilet
Saving Money on Toilet Paper
Saving Money on Toilet Paper
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on July 21, 2016 at 12:29:12 AM on 10.0.1.230 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.