Unclogging a Toilet

How do I unclog a toilet?

By Susan from Tampa

Unclogging a Toilet

Well, I had a similar problem a few years ago, called a plumber and he told me to "buy a plunger." So this is free information and cost me $50. (02/26/2010)

By sewinggirl

Unclogging a Toilet

(submitted via email)

My toilet was approximately 17 years old. After trying to unclog it many times, I realized that when you flush the toilet the water would not go down fast and would go down slowly. Sometimes you had to re-flush and plunge.

I replaced the innards in the tank and ran a wire through each hole in the toilet where the water comes into the bowl from the tank. It did not work!

I then removed the toilet and checked for blockage and ran a snake through it and checked the drain hole. The drain was fine. I went to Lowe's after Home Depot had a ridiculous price for a bone color that closely matched the tub and sink. They wanted over $400 for it.

I got a new one for $227. I have not installed it yet, but I'll let you know.

Regards, Tommy D. (02/26/2010)

By Sappie

Unclogging a Toilet

Susan, I found this answer here at the website:

Put 1/4 of a cup of regular dish-washing detergent (like "Dawn") in the bowl and wait 15 minutes. Then pour 2-3 quarts of boiling (or very hot) water in the toilet. Sometimes the stoppage will be forced away immediately. I usually will use the plunger once or twice after the boiling water is poured and that resolves it. Very rarely do I have to put another 1/4 cup and two quarts in again.

I was shocked when I used this the first time and it worked! (03/01/2010)

By mike_urciolo

Unclogging a Toilet

I have a toilet that has started to only partly flush out the contents. I just read the tip about the dish washing detergent and hot tap water and am just coming back from trying it. It whooshed as soon as I poured the warm water on top of the detergent. Amazing, it worked. I will now use it when the toilet shows the first signs of slowness or partial stoppage. (03/01/2010)

By Lily May

Unclogging a Toilet

I am so happy that the detergent trick worked! Even with all of the positive posts, I had my doubts. Thanks Dawn! (03/05/2010)

By janetmcst

Unclogging a Toilet

Go to Sally's and get a bottle of Hair Delite granules. It's what hairdressers use to dissolve hair in their brushes. Put on rubber gloves, and pour a teaspoon in your toilets and sinks once a month or so and wash it down. No more clogs, ever. Or if you already have a clog, pour some in and let it stand a few minutes. Then flush. No more clog. (03/13/2010)

By peacefulcounselor

Unclogging a Toilet

So many posters here have had success with the dish detergent and hot water method, I was hoping it would work this morning (24 hours after clog first occurred). But after the soap sat in the toilet for about 15 minutes, and then the boiling water went in, subsequent plunging lead to a toilet bowl full of soap suds! (Prior to this, the toilet was probably plunged about 300X (20 to 50 plunges at a time). Since the soap/hot water was added, probably plunged 100x. (Our two Kohler toilets clog much too often, from just regular waste and TP. No other products, tissues, toys (no kids here), etc. have gone in. Really weird. (03/20/2010)

By confetti11

Unclogging a Toilet
Unclogging a Toilet
clogged toilet
Unclogging a Drain or Toilet Attached to a Septic System
Toddler looking in open toilet
Plastic Ball Stuck in Toilet
Snaking a toilet
Products for Unclogging a Toilet
Toilet Brush Head
Toilet Brush Head Stuck in Toilet