Unclogging a Toilet

I recently flushed a bunch of Clorox wipes down the toilet and now it's really clogged. I've tried plunging it and that's not helping.

Any suggestions?

By Alexi from Medford, OR

Unclogging a Toilet

Have you looked in your clean-out? We had some problems with toilets backing up, which was made worse by "flushable" wipes. Just trying to determine if the clog is in the house, or the line outside the house comes first. After you figure out where the clog is, you can get an auger (also called a snake) and run that through the line to try and snag/push/break up the clog.

In our case, it had to do with the pipe outside being damaged (previous homeowner) and a shoddy repair. We'd first try to snake it ourselves, but would end up calling a professional. Finally we had them put a camera down the line to see what the problem was. Voila!

I hope that you get that toilet unclogged - I know that it's no fun. (11/09/2010)

By mrs.story

Unclogging a Toilet

A toilet snake works. (11/20/2010)

By takelababy

Unclogging a Toilet

I tried the soap and hot water method and all I got was a foamy toilet and a ticked off plumber!
My recommendation is don't do this try something else first especially if it is clogged with toilet paper! (11/24/2010)

By noneofurbiz

Unclogging a Toilet

I just tried the dish soap method after hours of having a clogged toilet and it worked! I put 1/2 of cup of the soap in then waited an hour, boiled a teapot of water and poured it in, waited another 15 minutes and then tried to flush.

When the water started to rise I started plunging and it took a couple minutes but eventually the water finally passed through like normal. I am so thankful for this method! (12/10/2010)

By kirstenanna

Unclogging a Toilet-Dish Soap Method

I was extremely skeptical of the dish soap solution. After more than 6 hours of plunging and snaking, off and on of course, I gave the dish soap a try. Disastrous doesn't even begin to cover it. Plunging a toilet full of dish soap creates massive suds.

Needless to say, I won't be doing that again. I've snaked and plunged and took the trap cap off in the basement to be drowned 3 times in toilet water in the basement. I decided to get some Roebic K-67 and let it sit over night. We'll see what happens in the morning.

By the way, it was the flushable wipes that clogged the toilet. I can't even begin to tell you how disgusting I feel right now, no shower, no toilet. (12/17/2010)

By 17diy17

Unclogging a Toilet

Oh my god did the dish soap method work!
I was saved the embarrassment of calling a plumber after my toilet was clogged for around 3 days. I had no plunger or anything. In previous instances, pouring some bleach in the toilet and letting it sit overnight had worked, but not this time.

I poured the dish soap in and used a toilet brush as a makeshift plunger, then let it sit while I boiled water. I dumped the water in and "plunged" again. I trued flushing and at first it didn't work, the water just rose to the rim of the toilet. I "plunged" frantically again and suddenly it whooshed all down!
Thanks! (12/23/2010)

By devanneallover

Unclogging a Toilet

I am the world's biggest skeptic and I am now a believer. Spent three days trying to unclog a toilet, never did figure out what the issue was, with a plunger and a snake. In twenty minutes I solved the problem following the instructions and am going to tell everyone I know about this solution. (12/24/2010)

By slhennes

Unclogging a Toilet
Unclogging a Toilet
clogged toilet
Unclogging a Drain or Toilet Attached to a Septic System
Toddler looking in open toilet
Plastic Ball Stuck in Toilet
Snaking a toilet
Products for Unclogging a Toilet
Toilet Brush Head
Toilet Brush Head Stuck in Toilet