Underarm Smell on T-shirts

I know this is similar to some other questions, but I thought I would give it a go. I am trying to figure out how to get the underarm odor smell out of my t-shirts. Febreze does not help and no matter how many times I wash them, after a few hours they armpits of the shirt start to smell. Any ideas?

Cheers.
Joanna, UK

Answers:

Underarm Smell on T-shirts

My dad found that if he wore any tee shirts with orlon, antron, or nylon mixed with cotton they got a funny smell. Only pure cotton didn't take on the odor. I've noticed the same thing. (09/09/2005)

By siris

Underarm Smell on T-shirts

Try soaking them in white vinegar and then wash as usual. That should work. (09/10/2005)

By Mary

Underarm Smell on T-shirts

Rub a little hair conditioner, the stuff you use to detangle your hair after each shampoo, into each arm pit area and then laundry as usual. Works great at removing "ring around the collar" too. (09/10/2005)

By snigdibbly

Underarm Smell on T-shirts

Had this problem years ago when hubby wore dress shirts everyday. Keep a small spray bottle with white vinegar by the washer and spray each under arm with it, let sit a minute while you sort other things and then just wash as normal.
I discovered this problem when ironing the shirts and the heat would heat them and up would come the odor. Golly, I needed to get rid of that quickly! (09/11/2005)

By guest

Underarm Smell on T-shirts

Make sure too that you are clean when you put the shirt on, and that you have used an antiperspirant.
Deodorant only masks a smell, and usually not very well, but the antiperspirant stops your pits from sweating, and also keeps it from smelling. Rubbing your underarms with vinegar, and letting it dry before you put the antiperspirant on will also help. It helps to kill the bacteria that causes the smells. Good luck, I hope you find a solution that works for you. (09/12/2005)

Underarm Smell on T-shirts

Definitely, all undershirts should be 100% cotton. Anything with polyester in it, such as a cotton-polyester blend, will retain odors.

Secondly, underarm deodorants do not "mask" odors. They have at least one antibacerial ingredient (such as triclosan) that prevents odors by keeping bacteria from growing in the armpits. (Deodorant soaps help delay odor recurrence by the same means.)

I always wear permanent-press outer shirts with a 100% cotton undershirt. Since I'm allergic to the aluminum chlorhydrate in antiperspirants (I get a rash from it), and I find it is ineffective in any case, a good stick deodorant with antibacterial capability works quite well for me.

You might try a laundry detergent with baking soda in it, such as Arm and Hammer detergent (if it exists where you live), because baking soda can help get rid of odors in fabrics. If you can get washing soda (sodium carbonate) and add it to you laundry with the detergent, that can help, too. Follow the package directions on the washing soda as to the correct amount for your type of washing machine, and you may well be able to cut the amount of detergent you use in half, because washing soda softens the water. (I'm told washing soda is found in the U.K. and it has other uses, too, besides laundry.) (05/01/2008)

By Todd in San Francisco

Underarm Smell on T-shirts

To prevent underarm odor: rub 1/2 lime under your arm pits prior to bathing once a week (if you are a woman, make sure skin is not irritated from waxing/shaving). I also swear by Weleda natural deodorant, comes in citrus and rose (as a woman, I prefer rose). It works wonders because it has natural citric oils, not synthetic.

For a white t-shirt you can try laundering with lime juice, but remember lime juice can whiten clothes if left on for a period of time, so do a test on an old shirt before proceeding! (06/25/2009)

By my2cents

Underarm Smell on T-shirts
sweat stain on dark clothing
Removing Underarm Sweat Stains from Clothing
Man in Green Shirt Smelling His Underarm
Preventing Underarm Odor
Silk Blouse
Removing Underarm Stains From Silk
Man With Stain in Underarm
Preventing Underarm Stains
🎄