Understanding Crochet Patterns and Abbreviations

Category Patterns
Crocheted hippo baby hat next two three colors of yarn and a crochet hook
Knowing how to read a crochet pattern and the meanings of the abbreviations will help make your project move along faster and easier. This is a guide about understanding crochet patterns and abbreviations.

When working on a crochet pattern you will need to know a variety of crochet stitch abbreviations to follow the instructions. This is a guide about basic crochet abbreviations chart.

Crochet hook resting on striped crocheted blanket

Read More... Was this helpful? 1

What does the crochet term "ss" mean? I have a pattern I am working on and the ss term is used with no explanation. My pattern did not provide a guide. It has something to do with the popcorn stitch, but that is all I know.

By Kate H.

Best Answer

SS, stands for slip stitch.

This is what my instructions say: ch 3 *skip next dc. Dcfp around post of next dc, then dcfp around post of skipped dc- Cr dcfp made. 1 dc in sp between last dc and the next dc (inc made). I understand everything up to 1 dc in sp between.
Confused!

Thank you.

Answers

dc is double crochet

You have made your increase in the work you did before the 1 dc in the space between. Since you have the increase, there will be a space for you to work that double crochet in.

It is very tight there. I'm confused with, where it said, the last dc & the NEXT dc

My pattern says "work for 0 (1-0-1) round". I've made 20 of these hats and ignored that line. Now I'm super curious. What does that mean?

The 0 is what you do for the first round. The numbers within the parentheses are what you do for the second, third and fourth rounds, respectively.

Anonymous

It shows the number of rounds you must do 0 rounds for the first size. The size you did must have been one of the sizes that required 0 rounds to be done that way if not your pattern would not have worked out. It is probably not a good idea to igore a part of the pattern it worked out this time buthe you may not be as lucky next time. It would be a shame to put all that work into something and have it not work out because a part if the pattern was not done. Best of luck with your future projects.

that particular pattern has instructions for 4 sizes - those instructions tells you how many rounds to work for each size.

so for the first size you would work 0 rounds

size 2 = 1 round

size 3 = 0 rounds

size 4 = 1 round.

How do you do a Cr Dcfp? I know what Dcfp means, but what does Cr mean?

It usually stands for Cross. So a CR DCFL would mean you skip a stitch and then go back into it. Here's a link to the tutorial!!

https://www.you  ch?v=OctEmV2tjRc

Thank you so very much, I appreciate your prompt help!

What does this mean: Ch1, sc in end of next row, *2sc in end of each next 2 rows?

By sumr from CA

Ch1, sc in end of next row, *2sc in end of each next 2 rows.

Are you binding off something that has been crochet? If so:

Chain 1 then single crochet in the end of the row, 2 single crochet in the end of the next 2 rows then repeat from the * until completed.

Since you didn't mention knitting, I'm assuming you aren't knitting. These instructions are not uncommon in a crochet pattern. Here's the translation.

At the end of the next row you work, chain 1 then single crochet one stitch.

At the end of each of the next 2 rows, work 2 single crochet in the last stitch.

If you're still confused send me a message via ThrifyFun and I'll try to explain it better.

Have fun!

What does it mean when a crochet pattern round ends with "mark decreases"?

"Mark decreases" simply means that you should mark each decrease with a different color yarn, stitch clip, etc., to avoid problems later in the crochet pattern.

The pattern says at the end of the row, join with slip stitch RST. What does RST mean?

right sides together

I am trying to crochet a ponchini. What does this mean? (5 ch-3 sps)
Thanks.

By Gail from Alpahretta, GA

Answers:

Here's a good start so you can learn to read patterns:

http://www.crochetcabana.com/reading-patterns.htm

Oddly, as an experienced crocheter, what you posted doesn't make much sense to me.

Chain 5 and what? sps? I can see why you are confused. Without seeing the actual pattern and what you are making, there is little I can do to help you other than offering the link above.

Hope that helps at least a little. (01/21/2010)

By COflower

Directions in step by step order usually have commas right after each step. Pause at each comma before continuing onto next step. It makes reading patterns much easier if you know to stop at each comma.

The abbreviation "sps" can mean spaces like chain 5 and in next 3 spaces do whatever it says to do. You need to understand abbreviated terms better also like (bps) for example is back post stitch and (fps) is front post stitch. When you learn how to do the stitches and see the abbreviations for them; it makes crocheting enjoyable and less work trying to read patterns.

You should be able to find out any/everything you need to know from the internet websites pertaining to "crochet abbreviations" and "reading crochet directions". (01/21/2010)

By Lorelei

Here's a link that can explain better than I about reading a pattern and understanding a few of the abbreviations. This is working in rounds.

http://www.crochetspot.com/how-to-read-crochet-patterns/ (01/21/2010)

By Lorelei

Sounds to me like 5 spaces, each of which was made by doing a crochet stitch followed by 3 chain. (02/01/2010)

By didough

It means 5 of the spaces which were made with 3 chains for each space. In other words 5 x 3chain spaces, or 5 spaces of 3chain. Hope this makes it clearer. (02/01/2010)

By Fay123