Underwear to Wear with a Leg Cast

When someone unfortunately breaks their leg, they may be unable to wear pants and underpants that they are used to. This is a guide about underwear to wear with a leg cast.

February 7, 2014 Flag

When I wore a full leg cast once, I couldn't get my undies over the cast. I didn't care to wear men's boxers or resort to adult diapers, so I exercised my noodle and adapted my own undies.

I bought a package of cotton undies and opened the side seam on each. I attached Velcro to the open side with Stitch Witchery. I could have sewn the Velcro on, but at the time I needed a shortcut in work effort more than I needed to save the $1 for the Stitch Witchery.

Hope that this tip helps somebody.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

December 16, 2013 Flag

My daughter just broke her ankle a couple of days ago and had surgery to repair it. She cannot get her normal underwear over the splint. What can she do? Do they make undies with Velcro or snap sides for something like this? I know there are sexy undies that are made to tear away, but she wants normal/practical undies. Thanks for any help.

By Melody from Oak Ridge, TN

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I know this probably isn't what she would want to hear, but there are diapers and pull ups for people with incontinence problems, that might be a solution. Another thing you could buy a package of cheaper undies, that were a larger size and buy some velcro, then cut the side seams and sew the velcro on it.

Hi - a friend at church had the same problem and her "solution" was to buy slightly larger underwear without elastic in the legs (think "boy shorts"). Some think of these as "old fashioned" but they are still popular and sold at Wal-Mart, K Mart, Target, as well as other stores.

We also found some Mens underwear in this same style (thrift store but new) and she liked these as well.

Hopefully your daughter will not have to wear these for a very long time. Good luck and Merry Christmas!

I had that problem once too and I bought simple cotton undies, opened the side seam and attached velcro with Stitch Witchery. Ironing on the velcro was faster than fooling around with sewing it on.

Consumer Advice Tips for ConsumersFebruary 10, 2014
Cooking with cast iron pans.
Cooking With Cast Iron Pans
A pile of women's underwear.
Organizing Your Underwear Drawer
An organized underwear drawer.
Organizing Underwear
Woman with a leg cramp.
Remedies for Leg Cramps
🍀
💘
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on January 3, 2017 at 9:55:07 AM on 10.0.2.28 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.