Unique 50th Birthday Ideas

I would like some unique idea's for a man's 50th Birthday. I don't want to have the usual over the hill black balloons etc. Something a little more cheery is what I'm looking for. Any ideas?

Thanks

Scooter from TX

Answers:

Unique 50th Birthday Ideas

What about rock and roll night, with everyone dressing up. You could also serve food to match. (02/12/2005)

By marsbar

Unique 50th Birthday Ideas

This is in response to the request for fresh 50th Birthday ideas.
One year the wife of a friend had a 50th birthday party for her husband. We wanted to give an unusual gift. We brought some fresh grapes and a bottle of olive oil as our gift to the husband. We also presented him with a tape which all the guests listened to. It was the comedic story of Dionysus and his love of wine and women and how things changed as he got older. We laughed so hard, we cried! You could put this in the context of a wine and cheese party and celebrate all the good things about aging.

Brejean from NB, Canada (02/12/2005)

By ThriftyFun

Unique 50th Birthday Ideas

When my brother turned 50, we had an "Over the Mountain" party. We printed mountain banners from the computer, and made a camping scene in the corner of the room, with sleeping bags, lanterns, and a fake campfire. We invited the guests to dress in hiking clothes, with backpacks and hiking sticks. Centerpieces were bandannas and mess kits, cans of beans, mountain pie irons, etc. Everyone loved it, and we got tons of great comments! It's a very masculine theme, and a lot more upbeat than the "over the hill" idea. (02/12/2005)

By zballoongirl

Unique 50th Birthday Ideas

Something we've done is given that person 50 (60, 70, 80... whatever age!) items to celebrate each year. For our friend who turned 50, we gave her 50 "old person" items bought at the dollar store, gotten for free or "recycled". This included things like big pill boxes, Depends, fiber, etc. We screamed with laughter at each opening. (02/12/2005)

Unique 50th Birthday Ideas

What about a 50s party as in 1950s. The 50s had great music and everyone could dress in poodle skirts and leather jackets, a sock hop type thing. (02/14/2005)

By austin95mom

Unique 50th Birthday Ideas

We through a party for my mom's 50th with a Flashback party. We researched events that took place the year before (whilst in womb), the year of, and the year after her birth. We found items that fit, record albums from the thrift store, hula hoops, saddle shoes, but also items that were important to history and politics and science. We used the items as centerpieces on the tables and we placed cards underneath each item and we played trivial pursuit (shout out version) as a group. Which was enormous fun. We only played relevant music and we even learned the older dance moves and taught the guests. We had period items of clothes around and everyone truly got into the spirit. My mother cried at the end of the night and said that besides the birth of her children she had never felt so loved and cared for. That's about the highest praise any daughter could hope for. Good luck. (02/14/2005)

By Suzanne S.

Unique 50th Birthday Ideas

How about "50 Years Young"? or "Aged to Perfection"? Both of those are upbeat themes. Maybe do a collage of photos of his life, include school photos, military pictures, wedding photos, old drivers licenses, and the cars he once owned. (02/14/2005)

By Cheryl from MO

Unique 50th Birthday Ideas

Start with 50 pennies, then 50 nickels, then 50 dimes, then 50 quarters, then 50 1/2 dollars, then 50 $1.00 bills. Give them on consecutive days with the 50 $1.00 bills being on the actual birthday. (04/05/2005)

By Ken

Unique 50th Birthday Ideas

How about a 50 and Fabulous or 50 and Fantastic party? (04/09/2005)

By Toni K.

Unique 50th Birthday Ideas

My little sister gave me a great 50th gift. First she helped my daughter print up and frame a plaque listing 50 reasons I love my mom, then she hand painted 4 wine glasses with different designs and all having the number 50 on them somewhere, and finally she gave me a jar filled with tiny handmade envelopes containing messages with 50 happy thoughts for me. I love my little sis! (08/19/2008)

By jendayi

Unique 50th Birthday Ideas

My wife was thrilled with her 50th birthday gifts. I gave her a gift each day for 50 days leading up to her birthday. They were mostly small things with a few larger ones thrown in. The last was a spa day. Believe it or not, it is not the easiest thing to do, gather up 50 gifts, that is. (09/22/2008)

By Jeff