Updating My Kitchen Cabinets

These are my kitchen cabinets. They are at least 30 years old and have sort of a grayish pickled-look veneer, which is cracked, bubbling, and chipped in some places. I'd love to add trim, paint, glaze or otherwise accent them, but I'm stuck on where to begin. I like Tuscan and French Country designs. What type of saw would I need to get to cut basic lattice trim to frame the edges? And what type paint would be best -- oil or latex? Thanks everyone.

Melody T. from Arkansas

Answers:

Updating My Kitchen Cabinets

When I refinished my kitchen cabinets I took off the doors, removed the hardware, sanded the doors, and used a latex primer and paint. I would suggest a latex enamel, it is durable and can stand up to cleaning. Many of the shows that I watch on television actually remove some of the doors entirely and paint the inside of the cupboard, and then display some nice dishes, or glass containers filled with all sorts of dry food items. I think that may look very cute in a Tuscan style kitchen.

Have you ever thought about cutting out the centers of some of the doors and replacing them with glass or some fabric? I have seen some cabinets with cutouts and they used chicken wire to block the cutout and lined the back with a country fabric. I think that you really need to replace the hardware on the cabinets, just that small change alone will make a real difference. Just be prepared, there are SO many choices in hardware anymore that it is next to impossible to choose! Please take pictures of before and after to share with us when your project is all finished! Best of luck to you, Paula (06/18/2008)

By Persnickety Paula

Updating My Kitchen Cabinets

This is what we did to our kitchen cabinets. They were really out dated. We took them off, glued bead board to them, framed around them with some corner pieces. I painted them then sanded around the edges then stained them (love the old antique look). Here is a picture of the remodel in progress. Also, for the drawer fronts we just used 1 inch pine painted the same and added the hardware. (they don't look as good in the picture, but you get the ideas) I couldn't have been more happier with the way they turned out. (06/18/2008)

By christy