Updating an Old Lamp

I took a lamp I've had since the early 70's that was out of style color-wise, so this is what I did to reinvent a more fashionable lamp with a pearled finish.

I bought some wrapping paper with a neutral background that had sparkles. I tore the paper into small pieces and used Plaid Decoupage Glue in glossy finish. I started to paint glue onto the gold colored glass globe base, piece by piece until I covered it.

During this first process, I let some of the glued pieces dry a bit before pasting a new batch of pieces of paper overlapping the others. Continue, pasting until you are happy with the results, then give the covered globe several coats of the Plaid Decoupage gloss finish glue, let dry between coats.

The added bonus, the defused light in the base showed through some of the glued pieces.

The photo shows the before and after!

By Syd from Dunkirk, MD

Answers:

Updating an Old Lamp

That looks great! Thanks for sharing. (06/07/2007)

By smcarney

Updating an Old Lamp

Call me crazy, but I actually love the original lamp. Another way to update it would be to get a more contemporary shade, maybe a shorter triangular one.

You did a great job though. Easy and clear directions, and the pearl one looks very professionally done. (06/07/2007)

By jess

Updating an Old Lamp

I'm impressed! I would change the shade though. (06/07/2007)

By Beth

Updating an Old Lamp

That really does look updated! Nice work, you have an eye for current style. (06/07/2007)

By Kim Ch

Updating an Old Lamp

This is just the idea I need! I have a lamp close to that style, only smaller. The shade is a dusty rose color and the glass is an awful gold! Ewww! My mom bought it at a garage sale for 50 cents. Thanks for the directions. (06/07/2007)

By SweetCali40

Updating an Old Lamp

This is Syd. Thanks for all the positive comments.

It's hard trying to find a shade that's reasonable. I looked at a few in a lighting decorator shop...Wow! This lamp sits on a marble coffee type table in front of a bow window, so a taller type shade is needed. Maybe I'll find one at a yard sale! The best part is that I still have an old gold one as well as the updated one, in case I want to change things around. (06/08/2007)

By Syd

Updating an Old Lamp

Love this idea! Looks really nice! (06/08/2007)

By frugalmomma

Updating an Old Lamp

Suggestion; replace the electric cord. If it's from the 70s, then it's plumb worn out. Your lamp conversion is truly inspired. (06/09/2007)

By cookwie

Updating an Old Lamp

What a great idea! I have thought of covering different things with paper or cloth in the past, but have never gotten around to it. I see this type of lamp at the thrift stores sometimes, and I love the light in the base, but never the color of the glass. Next time I come across a pair cheap enough, I might just give your idea a try. Thanks for the inspiration.
(06/09/2007)

By roxanne7

Updating an Old Lamp
Updating an Old Lamp
Tile Backsplash
Updating a Tile Backsplash
Photos of wine bottle lamps with decorations.
Making a Wine Bottle Lamp
Teapot Lamp
Making a Teapot Lamp
Uses for an Old Lamp, Old Lamp with Red Shade
Uses for an Old Lamp
🎉
🎄