Use Lavender Oil to Repel Mosquitoes

I reside in Naples, Florida where we have many mosquitoes in the summer, during rainy season. I went to the local flea market and bought a $1 bottle of Lavender oil. I have found that putting a few drops on my wrists, neck, ankles, behind the knees keeps the mosquitoes away. I actually see the pesky insects flying around my legs, but they do not land and bite! I have been using this remedy for years and told all my friends, who also use it.

By Tina T. from Naples, FL

Answers:

Use Lavender Oil to Repel Mosquitoes

Thanks for sharing this tip with us. I live in south Georgia and we, too, have a lot of mosquitoes, during the rainy season especially. I will try to find some lavender oil for myself. Thanks for sharing this with us and God bless you. (11/21/2008)

By tedsmom

Use Lavender Oil to Repel Mosquitoes

I hate the idea of putting DEET and other chemicals on my kids' skin so I went looking for natural alternatives. I found a recipe that listed several herbs that are mosquito repellent. I chose lemon balm and lavender and made my own repellent by chopping the herbs, putting them in a plastic jar (cleaned out mayo jar) with apple cider vinegar. I let it soak for a week, shaking the jar once a day, then strained it into a spray bottle. I works (and smells!) great. I have no doubt that lavender oil alone would work if strong enough. (11/21/2008)

By Ashley

Use Lavender Oil to Repel Mosquitoes

Thanks for the tip. I live in Bonita Springs but I work in Naples. Lavender is much more tolerable than OFF spray.
Happy Thanksgiving (11/22/2008)

By Sharon