Use Leftover Soap Pieces to Make Homemade Laundry Soap

What to do with leftover soap pieces (a few pieces)

1. I use my leftover soap to make homemade laundry soap. In a large container, I use a half gallon cup with a handle, fill with very hot water, shave the leftover soap into water, add 1/2 cup washing soda (available in most stores) 1/4 cup of 20 mule team borax. If you have hard water, add a few drops of tea tree oil, and stir until all is dissolved. Cover with top. Cools down to a jelly, add more water if too thick.

Use 3 or 4 scoops for large load.

Depending on family size, the washing soda and borax should make quite a few batches, saving you a lot of money.

2. You can also collect left over pieces in a small plastic tub - rectangular best. I call it hobo soap. From craft store, buy a container of vegetable base or goats milk soap base, cut base into chunks and melt in microwave, I use a medium size measuring cup 30 sec. at a time until melted. Add essential oil of your choice, stir, pour over left over pieces- let cool, release from mold and slice.

Source: I learned from instructions in the ebook, The Handcrafter's Companion at

Also bought a book on essential oils and used tips from other soap makers. A true crafter is always willing to share their recipes and I am happy to do so.

By spa products from Oxford, Michigan

liquid laundry soap
Homemade Liquid Laundry Detergent Recipes
Hand washing shower wall
Removing Soap Scum from Shower Doors
HE Washer
Homemade Laundry Soap for an HE Washer
Soap in Laundry
Removing Soap Build Up in Laundry
Neatly Wrapped Homemade Soap
Packaging Homemade Soap for Sale