Use Old Socks As Cleaning Rags

When my socks get holes in them, I turn them inside out and use them for dusting/cleaning rags. By turning them inside out I can easily spot which socks are no longer good enough to wear as I'm sorting laundry.

By Susan from Giddings, TX

More uses for old socks and old nylons

Old cotton socks also make good panty liners for the last couple of days of your menstrual cycle. Just safety-pin them into your underpants. Voila, you've got something that's re-usable and "free" instead of having to constantly buy panty liners.

Old socks are also good for any cleaning project, such as furniture polishing, re-seasoning cast iron, dusting, washing or drying dishes, or shredding and turning into pillow stuffing.

If you've got any animals, and if they're pregnant, make them a little bed and fill it with old holey socks. It's soft and warm, and you won't mind any stains from the birthing.

You can use old socks as packing material if you're moving. I put one or two in between each dinner plate, bowl, saucer, or cup. It stops the clinking, and we've never had any broken dishes from this. I also use them to slip over my champagne flutes (wedding gift), along with another layer for more padding; to hold candlesticks, pens and pencils, kitchen implements, and so forth. My husband's got large feet and therefore large socks, while my feet and shoes are embarrassingly tiny, so I put my husband's old socks over my shoes when I'm packing to go anywhere. It keeps the shoes from dirtying my clothes in the suitcase. Mind you, I do that with mate-less socks that don't have holes, because the ones with holes don't protect anything.

If you've got pantyhose with a run in one leg, cut off that leg just below the hip and save it. If you always by hose of the same color, you can wear the leg from one pair this way on one leg, and the leg from another pair on the other leg, and no one will realize they're not just one pair of hose. (Having the hip-and-butt part doubled up also adds to the tummy control effect.) You can also use old hosiery to hold old chips of soap (grind it up and use it when making homemade laundry detergent), or -- if i's still clean and not stained -- as a coffee or tea filter. (12/30/2008)

By Chayil

Use Old Socks as Cleaning Rags
Making a Sock Quilt
Uses for Unmatched Socks, Small Pile of Unmatched Socks
Uses for Unmatched Socks
A picture of a pair of socks.
Organizing Socks
sock snowman
Uses for Old Socks