Use Rice to Absorb Excess Moisture in Electronics

Ever have you or one of your family members get a cell phone wet? After my son-in-law left one in a pocket for the 3rd time, ending up in the wash, I figured why not try to remove moisture the way an older Asian lady taught me how she would draw moisture from items. I'd read not to use a blow dryer with heat on the unit as it can cause more damage than help drying the phone out.

I took the phone, battery out, tightly wrapped both separately in two or three layers of a quilted brand of paper towel, put them in a small container, then completely covered with raw rice. Bingo! After two days the rice swelled up, drawing the moisture out of the phone and the battery. A quick charge, the phone worked perfectly again.

I did the same for a friend when she dropped her daughters iPod in the pool. Why not give it a try, much cheaper than going out to buy new ones!

By EM10 from Marco Island, FL

Scoop of brown rice. Freezing brown rice.
Freezing Brown Rice
Side of Spanish rice.
Making Spanish Rice in the Rice Cooker
An electrical cord plugged into an outlet.
Finding Replacement Cords for Electronics
A plate of cooked brown rice.
Cooking Brown Rice in a Rice Cooker
🎄