Use a Balloon to Make an Easter Basket

A fun Easter "egg basket" is made by winding crochet thread around a balloon that is not completely blown up (a balloon is in a "egg" shape when not completely blown up). Wrap the thread around the balloon heavy in what you perceive as the back and not as heavy in what will eventually be your front. Wrap the end of the balloon with string. Take white glue or a very heavy starch and put this all over the "egg basket". I used to hang my "egg baskets" from the shower rod in the bathroom to dry.

When the glue is completely dry, cut an oval opening in the front with your scissors. You pop the balloon and remove it before you try to fill your "egg basket". You can glue lace or whatever you want around the outside of the oval. Fill the "egg basket" with plastic grass. Then put in candy and anything else you'd like to have in the egg.

I did these "egg baskets" when my kids were small (my oldest is now 43) and my children loved them. If you make a big "egg basket", you can even put a stuffed toy inside with the candy. I'm sorry, but I don't have any pictures of these "egg baskets".

By Bobbie from Mesa, AZ

Answers:

Use a Balloon to Make an Easter Basket

I have a lot of these I also did when my kids were small. They had to be stored carefully due to humidity destroying the structure. Our recipe was sugar to glue it, not starch or glue. And the more layers you dipped, the prettier the sugar pattern got. Then when dry and after carefully cut the opening, I used clear acrylic spray paint. Maybe a half can per large (gal size) egg. I did lots of small ones too, used ribbons, buttons, laces. I did Easter scenes inside them, you can turn them any way you want. To back it up a bit, before spray painting for extra stiffness, grab the egg, look at it (cut already in) and press down to make it stand on it own. It makes a dent in the bottom.

The sugar syrup was 2 cups sugar to 1 cup warm water, dissolved. Pour over when slightly warm so balloon does not expand to the heated mixture. They are beautiful. Mine must be 25 years old. I sold lots of these. (04/13/2009)

By T and T Grandma

Use a Balloon to Make an Easter Basket
Fishing gear.
Making a Fishing Gift Basket
Peeps Easter Basket
Peeps Easter Basket
Paper Mache Hot Air Balloon
Making a Paper Mache Hot Air Balloon
Blue balloon flowers.
Growing Balloon Flowers (Chinese Bellflower)
🎄