Use a Rubber Band Across Your Paint Can

Category Painting
An elastic band stretched across the paint can opening.
Placing a rubber band so that it crosses the top of your paint can provides a way to remove excess paint from your brush while working on your painting project without messing up the rim of the can. This is a guide about use a rubber band across paint can.

When painting, stretch a large, wide rubber band from the top to the bottom of the paint can so that the rubber band lays across the widest part of the opening. After dipping the brush into the paint, wipe it against the rubber band, instead of the lip, to remove excess paint. You'll be left with a clean can and the lid will be easier to replace.

Jennifer from Conyers, GA

Top Comment

Just be careful about putting the rubber band on and off! I was painting my son's closet door black with red, yellow and orange flames. I had the doors on sawhorses and outlined the flames. I set the can of black paint on the door to put the rubber band on it.

As I was stretching it from top to bottom, the rubber band slipped and flipped the can out of my hands - black paint all over the door, the floor and me! Boy what a mess. I'm so glad it was just a small can of paint!

Lesson learned. After I cleaned up my mess, I ended up having to re-sand and re-primer the door because the black showed up through the flames.

Place a rubber band from the center of the bottom of the paint can around the top. Dip your paint brush in the paint can and wipe excess off on the rubber band. No more messy painting!

Source: Pinterest

By LoveLiveHome from Redmond, WA

Use a large rubber band to clean paint off your paintbrush. Simply place it over the center of the opened paint can instead of rubbing your brush against the edge of the can.

By Aurelia

By simply wrapping an elastic band around your paint pot, you can save yourself a lot of mess. This has two useful purposes. You can rest the brush on it and you can wipe off excess paint. In both cases, the paint will drip directly back into the pot instead of making a mess of the sides of the can.

Stretch a strong rubber band around a paint can from the top to the bottom. Use the rubber band to remove the excess paint from the brush which keeps the paint from going all over the side and rim of the paint can.

L. - Poulsbo, WA