Uses for Baby Blankets

Category Reusing
Uses for Baby Blankets
Once those babies no longer need all those blankets, there are a number of ways they can be re-purposed. This guide is about uses for baby blankets.

I have been able to find baby blankets for Buddy at the 99 cent store. They are just the right size for him. In cool weather, I use them to cover his little beds and keep a couple in the car in case we need to take him to the vet. That way, we can put them on the table in the exam room or if we have to leave him overnight. We also put his name on them. In the warm weather, I use pillow cases for his small beds. Both are easy to wash and dry.

By Great Granny Vi from Moorpark, CA

Many animal shelters and veterinarians will take your old blankets and towels to use for their animal bedding. Just make sure it is clean and you have given a gift that many animals will enjoy for a long time.

By Gem from VA

This child-sized pillow case was made with two of my daughter's old receiving blankets. Simply place them with right sides together and sew around three of the edges, leaving one of the short edges open. You can either hem this edge or attach a ruffle like I've done here. The ruffle is actually off of a pair of my daughter's pants that she outgrew!

By April from Albany, GA

When my son was a baby, he had lots of receiving blankets. As he grew older, of course, they weren't needed. I gave away several, then one day I needed a toy bag to take to Grandma's house.

Fold the receiving blanket in half, sew the long side and one short side making a bag. Sew a fold at the top, leaving an opening for a draw string. Insert draw string and you have a toy bag, pajama bag, or laundry bag. Receiving blankets are usually flannel, so I also used a few to make pillow cases for him. They were warmer for him in the winter and I had enough to generally get him through his colds, flu, ear infections when pillow cases get slobbery and need to be changed.

Source: Necessity is the mother of invention. I came up with this myself.

By Dianne from Wilsonville, OR

Buy cotton baby blankets whenever you see them at yard sales or wherever. Cut them into squares and use as lint free cleaning cloths.

By Lisa

This is a guide about making baby blanket dolls. Infant receiving blankets and a few other supplies can be used to make cute little baby dolls. They make colorful decorations in the nursery.

Baby blanket decorative dolls.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes