Uses for Bandanas

Bright and colorful bandanas are often inexpensive to buy and very versatile in their possible uses. This is a guide about uses for bandanas.

May 14, 2012 Flag

Pack a few with your camping gear, bandanas can be used for napkins. They also come in handy to wash dishes or to wrap a cut or a sprain (temporarily).

By Karen H. from Pawtucket, RI

Growing up in Girl Scouts (a million years ago :)) we called bandanas 104's because there were supposed to be 104 uses for a bandana.

Just off the top of my head: pony tail holder, hair scarf, potholder, placemat, tie the corners together for a collecting bag, skirt for little girls if you tie two together, washcloth, face towel, strainer for pasta if you have two adults hold the four corners over another bucket or pot and a third to slowly pour the pasta into the bandana, flag for marking your campsite, warning flags for clotheslines or tent guy lines, handkerchief, sun shade behind a ball cap... You get the idea.

June 28, 2007 Flag

Any suggestions for finding bandanas that are soft? My husband uses the old fashioned bandanas for hankies, and his are looking horrible and need to be replaced? I look wherever I go for 100% Cotton bandanas, ones with a close weave, and what I feel will wash up nicely and become soft. Most of the bandanas I have purchased lately have been stiff after repeated washings (some up to a couple of dozen times). I have tried fabric softener, I have soaked them in vinegar, etc. I am at my wit's end....(I prefer not to buy used hankies). Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks!

Shirley from West Michigan

I wonder if organic cotton would be softer. There are lots of websites.

I just checked the price of mens handkerchiefs on google and I am amazed at how expensive they are. In Ireland you can buy a 3 pack of 100% cotton handkerchiefs for about 5Euros, thats about $7. (Some are even monogrammed).

So if you know anyone travelling to Ireland or the UK this summer be sure to ask them to buy you some, you can buy them in any department store.

I remember as a child there was always the 'hankie pot' in our house for boiling all the hankies, everyone used them.

We find them at WalMart in the scarf/hat department. They are $ .98 and are 18"x18". Never see white, mostly country colors.

I'm sitting here laughing because I almost answered "just leave them out on the counter for a couple of days and they will soften"...until I re-read your question and realized you wanted soft bandanas and not soft bananas...I've always known I was dyslexic!

Consumer Advice General AdviceJanuary 18, 2013
metal burner covers
Uses for Burner Covers
Uses for Juicer Pulp
Uses for Juicer Pulp
Uses for Old Briefcases, Worn two strap leather briefcase.
Uses for Old Briefcases