Uses for Bread Heels

Any idea on what to do with the "butt" ends of bread?

By monnat96 from Pingree Grove, IL

Answers:

Uses for Bread Heels

I use mine as a chance to save some money later. Crumble the bread into a large deep freezer bag and add to it as you go along. It makes great last minute bread crumbs for breading, and the Thanksgiving shopping list is one item shorter! Just pull them out a few days before the big dinner and let them stale for your holiday stuffing. (05/08/2009)

By Dedeswrkshop

Uses for Bread Heels

Send 'em to me! That is my favorite part of the loaf of bread. Seriously, I put them in my freezer and when I get a good "batch" I just stick them in my blender or food processor and make breadcrumbs. Just add some garlic salt and sometimes Italian seasoning and Wal-la! You have inexpensive but very useful bread crumbs. If you don't have a food processor, you can toast the bread in the oven slowly to dry it out then crumble it with your hands after they are cooled and dry. (05/09/2009)

By Donna

Uses for Bread Heels

Cut them into chunks and make croutons by frying them in a mixture of butter and olive oil. (05/09/2009)

By ChloeA

Uses for Bread Heels

We put in the freezer, save it with stale cereal or crackers etc. Feed it to the ducks at the local pond! (05/09/2009)

By michawnpita

Uses for Bread Heels

The ends make good french toast. I also use them backwards( outside of loaf on the inside of the sandwich) to make grilled cheese. (05/16/2009)

By merlene

Uses for Bread Heels

Eat them! (05/16/2009)

By downunderchick

Uses for Bread Heels

Bread pudding. (05/17/2009)

By louel53

Uses for Bread Heels

I seem to remember reading on Thriftyfun some time ago that you can put them in your compost to provide carbs for the earthworms - they love it. (05/17/2009)

By Lynn

Uses for Bread Heels

Use them to butter corn on the cob. (05/18/2009)

By lynn59hb

Uses for Bread Heels

Put some bolognaise sauce or other filling between two of them, and place in sandwich toaster, and you have instant mini-pies.

Cut into strips and freeze, for soldiers to dip in boiled eggs.

Slather with garlic butter, cut into strips and then across, and place in warm oven to dry, for delicious croutons or snacks.

You can also use them as pizza bases. Dribble with tomato pulp, and add olives, mozzarella or any cheeses you like, sprinkle with chives. Yummy. Grill until cheese bubbles.

(05/18/2009)

By zxcvbnm

Bread for Bread Pudding
Bread for Making Bread Pudding
Gluten free bread in a bread machine.
Gluten Free Bread Machine Recipes
Moldy bread.
Preventing Mold on Bread
Recipes Using Stale Bread, Slice of Bread on Cutting Board
Recipes Using Stale Bread
Sliced banana bread on a cutting board.
Freezing Banana Bread
🎄
🍂