Uses for Carpet Samples

Category Reusing
Carpet Samples
Small sample pieces of carpet can be useful for a number of things. This guide contains uses for carpet samples.

My husband and I were living on a limited income and our living room floor really needed carpet. So we started collecting carpet squares or carpet samples from the various carpet stores in our area until we had enough to do this room. These work great because they are very reasonable usually 25-50 cents a piece, stain guarded or stain resistant, easy to install, you get to use your creativity as far as color and design and you usually get better grade carpet this way. And best of all if one gets stained, just take it up and replace it.

This room cost us about $35.00 to do. You will need to remove the binding from all your squares before you start to lay the floor. It is easier to clear the entire room and start laying the carpets out the way you like them until the whole room is done to your satisfaction. You can cut and piece anyway you like, any shape or size. Then go back to where you started and start stapling the pieces down to the floor until you have the entire floor stapled down. Once this is done, vacuum and stand back and admire your creativity and handiwork. This process works for any room you want to do.

By Connie from Towanda, PA

I use rug samples under my cat litter box. I buy the samples at carpet stores. They are bound, various colors, and cheap. I usually can get them for $1 and in the color I want for my room. I vacuum them just like the rest of my floors and when they get dirty, I shampoo them with my other carpets and use carpet spot cleaner on them between shampoos.

When they get too dirty, I throw them out and get a new one. Our cat loves to scratch this carpet even when she is not using the litter.

By Eiw from Lancaster, PA

Is it possible to obtain bound carpet samples (any color or design) for our Good News Club. The children have to sit on the floor which is very cold and uncomfortable for our program.

By Ethel

Any carpet store should have "old" samples for you to use... just ask!

Hi - some Good News clubs have asked for help like this from their sponsored church and usually receive all the help they need.

If this is not possible then you could try local places like Salvation Army etc as they many times have things like this for either free or a low price.

(Remember: Thrifty "contributors" do not always have a city or state where a request is coming from.)

Go to any carpet store or a place that sells carpet, like Lowe's or Home Depot and tell them your story. Most of these store will give the samples to you for free. They have older samples of product that they no longer sell and do not need. You may have to leave them your phone number so they can call you when they no longer need them. My daughter did this for her classroom at school and they were more than happy to help.