Uses for Dry Cleaning Bags

Category Reusing

These plastic bags can be reused for a variety of things. This guide is about uses for dry cleaner bags.

I use the bags that cover the drycleaning for light duty trash bags, I just twist up the end that the hanger goes through and tie a knot in it, They're great for lightweight trash!

By jazzyjuls from Ellicott City, MD

When you pick up your dry cleaning use the clear bags as trash bags in your smaller cans by simply tying a knot in the end where the hanger comes through. Then turn the bag inside out so the knot is on the inside and place in your trash can. This is a perfect reuse of the bag especially since we all use reusable shopping bags these days. Finally return the hangers to the dry cleaners to be reused. They may even give you a discount on your next visit.

I have accumulated a lot of dry cleaner plastic bags. I hate to just throw them away as I know there must be something I can do with them. Thanks in advance!

Cookiepom from Owensboro, KY

I BELIEVE THERE WAS A POST AWHILE BACK UNDER "CRAFTS" WHERE SOMEONE HAD TOLD ABOUT MAKING A WREATH WITH THEM. I REMEMBER SEEING IT DONE ON ONE OF THE HGTV SHOWS

When we had a house, I used them as insulation in windows. Cut the bag as wide as your window and scrunch it together to fit in the space where the window closes. You should notice a difference in how much warmer your house will be.

When you pack clothing for travel, slip shirts, slacks, dresses, etc. into seperate dry cleaner bags, then fold and put in suitcase. It will keep them from wrinkling until needed usually without having to iron.

If there's a ceramics studio nearby you, they might like to have them. (I used to work in the Art Dept. at a state university and our ceramics students used the dry cleaner bags over their pieces to keep them from drying out.)

Does your dry cleaner recycle the plastic bags?

I tie a knot in the end where the hangers go and use the bag to pick up the trash in the upstairs bedrooms and baths. Of course, I'm careful to make sure there isn't something heavy which might split the bag. It is a good way to recycle the bags. Also we use them in packing our suitcases for travel as an earlier post indicated...works great.

I have a cat and am constantly fighting the fur. It flies all over the place, and even when something has just been cleaned it may very soon have fur on it. Enter the dry cleaner bag. I put them over the everyday clothes that I would not usually dry clean or cover. This way the clothes item remains clean and fur-free until time to wear it.

They also make good last minute rain ponchos.

tie them together and braid them, then sew them or hot-melt glue them into doormats

they can be used to stuff stuffed animals that are for decorative use. obvioulsy you can't put the finished stuffed animals in the dryer, but they do keep the shape very well. Also work great for stuffing throw pillows

Find people that travel alot and give the bags to them or use them yourself for that purpose. I've heard that if you lay your garment on the plastic and roll it when you pack and get to your destination your clothes won't be wrinkled. Of course they need not be wrinkled when you pack.

You can stuff them in a planter that's too deep. Then put in the dirt to plant flowers or what ever you want to plant & as 1 poster mention. Tie 1 end to use for trash or in trash can, also use to make raised flower beds or raised garden. Put plastic down then put blocks or bricks on the edge of the plastic, put composted manure in the raised bed. It's ready to plant, no weeds or grass will come up except what the birds drop. You do not have to remove the lawn grass just build the above on top of the grass, good luck.

When you pick up your dryer cleaning clothes, you always have plastic around it. If your cleaners doesn't recycle the bags take the top of the bag where the hanger was, and tie a knot. This will take care of the hole the hanger made and put in trash can as a bag. Less waste in the environment and saves you money on garbage bags.

By Carol from Massachusetts

Answers:

Reuse Dry Cleaning Plastic as Trash Bag

While they sounds like a good idea, the bags I get are too flimsy to hold any weight other than paper trash. (12/09/2008)

By Rhea

Reuse Dry Cleaning Plastic as Trash Bag

While they are too flimsy for regular garbage, I do put all my recyclying in them when I have them. They hold a lot and things like empty milk jugs that take up a lot of space aren't heavy enough to break through. (12/09/2008)

By Beth