Question
Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Uses for Egg Shells

0 0EmailFollow
Pin It
White cracked open egg shell

Before putting egg shells in the compost or garbage, there are a number of ways they can be used around the home and garden. This guide is about uses for egg shells.

Solutions: Uses for Egg Shells

Read and rate the best solutions below by giving them a "thumbs up".

Tip: Egg Shells for Tomatoes

When planting tomato plants in your garden, put a crushed egg shell in the bottom of the hole with a little soil over it before planting the tomato plant. It will benefit from the calcium in the egg all season and it helps to prevent blossom end rot, where ugly spots form on the bottom of the fruit.

Source: Organic Gardening Magazine

By Wayne from Cecilia, KY

Tip: Save Egg Shells in Cartons for Planting Next Spring

Around this time of the year, I begin saving egg cartons and egg shells. The half of the shell is perfect to add a bit of potting soil and then plant your seeds. Place back into the carton which acts like a hothouse.

When your seedlings are ready to transplant, plant the egg shell into the ground after cracking it a bit for drainage. This way, you don't disturb the roots, the "container" is mainly free as you have already used the egg, and it gets the added benefit of calcium. Works for me every time.

By Banty from Chatom, AL

Tip: Save Those Eggshells!

Baby chick.

When I was a child, I had an elderly neighbor. Everyone called her 'Granny'. She kept chickens in a penned lot in back of her home. When she threw laying mash to her hens, she always included a smattering of crushed eggshells. Now, I know why. When eggs begin to form in a female bird, the bird seeks additional calcium in her diet. This extra calcium helps to strengthen her eggshells.

I wash, crush, and dry eggshells throughout the year. I try to keep at least a pint on hand. When spring arrives and I see new faces outside my window, and hear all those mating calls, I know it's time to add a few eggshells along with the bird seed to the feeders.

Keep a few of those eggshells for another reason. Adding a teaspoon or so to the bottom of the hole when planting tomatoes will do wonders at stopping blossom end rot. You will be supplying a slow release form of calcium which is better than the blossom end rot sprays you buy. The sprays are not cheap. The eggshells are free. Your choice. If you happen to have a bottle of blossom end rot spray around, check the label. You'll find the active ingredient is no more than a liquid form of calcium.

By

Tip: Broken Egg Shells to Deter Snails

Don't throw out eggshells. Crush them up and throw them into your garden. They provide needed calcium to the soil as they decompose and the sharp-edged shells keep snails out of your beds.

Diatomaceous earth, available in pool supply stores, works as well. If the snails try to crawl over either material, the sharp edges slices up their obnoxious bellies.

By lindal from Vista, CA

Tip: Egg Shell Slug Deterrent

Save your egg shells from your favorite recipe to help out your garden. Crush your clean egg shells into small, but not powdered pieces, and spread them around the base of your plants. Slugs will not go over them because of the texture of the shells.

By E.Mussa

Tip: Ornaments Out of Decorated Eggshells

Something I learned to do as a teenager, was egg decorating. It took a lot of concentration but was so worth the end results. This is something particularly good for Christmas as you can make some stunning ornaments to hang on the tree, or get a stand for the egg to have as other decorations not associated with the tree at all.

They can make lovely gifts. If you really enjoy doing it, you can extend how much work you put into it, creating things like jewelery boxes, etc. This type of thing can be as inexpensive or as expensive as the creator wishes.

Some things I did with them (using various types/sized eggs) was to cut into the egg and remove a portion, then create a Christmas scene in the hollow egg. Add glitter around the cut hole used to view the scene, then in a nice pattern around the rest of the egg to give it a really nice sparkle. For my mother's gift, one year after I'd been doing this for some time, I used an ostrich egg to create a jewelery box, lined it with silk, added the bits of hardware necessary. Tt turned out so much better than I'd dare to hope. Good luck with whatever you find for them!

By Hans

Tip: Egg Shells For Slug Prevention

My father once told me of collecting and drying egg shells for the garden. When they are dry you crush them up and spread the pieces at the base of your plants. Slugs and snails won't crawl over the shards.

By Suntydt from Tazewell, TN

Tip: Save Egg Shells for the Garden

Don't throw those egg shells away! Rinse thoroughly, removing membrane inside, air dry thoroughly and put into a zippered plastic bag. Crush with rolling pin. Store in freezer until ready to add to your garden or compost pile. The crushed egg shells add valuable nutrients to the amended soil. Or save them to form a circle on top of the ground surface around tender plant stems such as peppers, tomatoes, broccoli, cabbage - slugs and cutworms won't cross them.

By Ronsan

Tip: Egg Shells for Cutworms

Someone suggested to use crushed egg shells to get rid of cutworms. This is the best idea I ever heard. It's even better then the pellets I used to get earwigs and cutworms. It's also working well but egg shells don't cost you any money, we all buy eggs regularly. Who was the gentleman suggesting this? I can't find it again.

By Mike from Mercier, Quebec, Canada

Editor's Note: There are a few times this tip has been suggested on our site, including in the feedback of this post.

Give a "thumbs up" to the solution that worked the best! Do you have a better solution? Click here to share it!

Here are questions related to Uses for Egg Shells.

Question: Uses for Egg Shells

A clean empty eggshell in two pieces.Uses for eggshells from the ThriftyFun community.

I use finely crushed eggshells around seedlings that I transplant into my garden each spring. The shells keep snails, slugs and cut worms away. Apparently, the shells are abrasive to these critters and they won't crawl over them to eat the young plants.

By Readingiggits

Add Calcium To The Soil

I've heard that tomatoes love them, something about the added calcium in the soil. So when I planted mine this year, I crushed up a bunch of eggshells and mixed them in around the plants.

By Beth - MA

Seed Starter

You can also use them to start seedlings in. Then when you transplant, just crack the shell and plant the whole thing. Of course this only works for small seedlings.

By Diwitch

Eggshell Seed-Starting Pots

To make eggshell seed-starting pots: Crack the tips off several eggshells, reserving the eggs for cooking. Fill shells with a light soil mixture and one or two seeds (nasturtiums were used in the book), and prick drainage holes in the bottom of each shell with a pin. Keep moist and warm. When seedlings have reached a suitable size, plant them directly in the ground, crushing the shell so the roots can emerge.

By Mythi

Deer Deterrent

If you have deer eating any of your garden plants, throw the eggshells out there because deer HATE eggs! Otherwise, they are good for your plants, anyway. Just crush and use in your potting soil or mulch.

By Margie

Compost And Mix With Birdseed

I crush them up very fine, and put them in my compost tumbler. On occasion, I dump them on the ground in the area where I feed the birds. The birds need grit in their gizzard to help digest food, so they eat the shells.

By Harlean from Arkansas

Make Sidewalk Chalk

Sidewalk chalk! Here's a great link to making the chalk, however after I washed the shells and let them dry, I ground them up in the blender rather than on a rock - much easier!

By Vinnyswoman

Bedtime Tea

Bedtime tea, you wash them, then bake them until brown. Crush and boil as you would tea. Stain and make tea as you normally would. Enjoy a cup before you go to bed, as told me by my grandmother.

By Susanv

Snail Food

Egg shells make good food for pet snails. They need calcium in their diet to maintain their shells.

By Sylvia

Most Recent Answer

By neuroticmom [9]03/19/2011

I am confused as one poster says save egg shells for snails as they eat them for the calcium and the other is saying scatter them to keep the snails away. I want to get rid of the snails so if I scatter egg shells will it attract them to eat the shells or keep them away?

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Save Egg Shells in Cartons for Planting Next Spring

When using eggs in my cooking, I try to break the shells near one end. The smaller piece of broken shell goes into the compost bowl, the larger part of the shell I put back into the empty egg carton and save for spring when I fill the shells with soil and start my seedlings in them. They are lightweight and easy to move around. When the plants have developed roots and are ready to transplant into the ground you just lift them shell and all and plant them in the garden. The egg shell will fertilize and nourish the plant. It will be off to a good start!

By Deborah from Terre Hill, PA

RE: Save Egg Shells in Cartons for Planting Next Spring

We also take the egg shells, peelings, that sort of thing, toss them into the blender with a little water and feed our garden all summer. roses in particular love the egg shells and bloom more profusely and longer. (11/18/2009)

By willowfahy