Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Uses for Egg Shells

Before putting egg shells in the compost or garbage, there are a number of ways they can be used around the home and garden. This guide is about uses for egg shells.

Save Eggshells for Planting Tomatoes

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? Yes

Adding eggshells to your garden and compost is a common all natural way to add key nutrients to the soil. This is a guide about save egg shells for planting tomatoes.

Egg Shells

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? Yes

Some gardeners have good success reducing the slug population in their garden using broken egg shells. This is a guide about use egg shells for slug prevention.

October 20, 2014 Flag

I want to share some things you can use egg shells for. First, I rinse my shells (after cracking them open for meals) and place them on an aluminum pan on top of my toaster.

Push down the toaster knob and let the heat come up and dry the shells in the pan.

Then I crush them up and use them mixed into my birdseed in my bird feeders (or in poultry feed, if you raise any poultry or even for pet birds). Birds NEED the calcium for their digestive processing in their gizzards and to produce their own eggs!

I also crush them up in potting soil for my flower pots or in my flower/garden beds for the natural calcium boost it gives them when it breaks down.

Or don't crush up the shells after you crack them open. Instead, add a few teaspoons of soil into each 1/2 egg shell and drop in a seed or two for some indoor plants/flowers. Great project for children to do!

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I crush the shells kind of coarsely and sprinkle around plants that are having snail issues. If the nasty creatures try to cross over the eggshells the sharp edges slice up their evil little bodies.

When I was a child, I had an elderly neighbor. Everyone called her 'Granny'. She kept chickens in a penned lot in back of her home. When she threw laying mash to her hens, she always included a smattering of crushed eggshells. Now, I know why.

A pile of cracked eggshells on a white background.

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? Yes

The calcium in crushed egg shells can be beneficial to your indoor pet birds and even the chickens themselves. This is a guide about eggshells for birds.

When planting tomato plants in your garden, put a crushed egg shell in the bottom of the hole with a little soil over it before planting the tomato plant. It will benefit from the calcium in the egg all season.

Don't throw out eggshells. Crush them up and throw them into your garden. They provide needed calcium to the soil as they decompose and the sharp-edged shells keep snails out of your beds.

Around this time of the year, I begin saving egg cartons and egg shells. The half of the shell is perfect to add a bit of potting soil and then plant your seeds.

Something I learned to do as a teenager, was egg decorating. It took a lot of concentration but was so worth the end results. This is something particularly good for Christmas as you can make some stunning ornaments to hang on the tree, or get a stand for the egg to have as other decorations not associated with the tree at all.

Don't throw those egg shells away! Rinse thoroughly, removing membrane inside, air dry thoroughly and put into a zippered plastic bag. Crush with rolling pin. Store in freezer until ready to add to your garden or compost pile.

Someone suggested to use crushed egg shells to get rid of cutworms. This is the best idea I ever heard. It's even better then the pellets I used to get earwigs and cutworms.

August 16, 2007 Flag

Uses for eggshells from the ThriftyFun community.

I use finely crushed eggshells around seedlings that I transplant into my garden each spring. The shells keep snails, slugs and cut worms away. Apparently, the shells are abrasive to these critters and they won't crawl over them to eat the young plants.

By Readingiggits

Add Calcium To The Soil

I've heard that tomatoes love them, something about the added calcium in the soil. So when I planted mine this year, I crushed up a bunch of eggshells and mixed them in around the plants.

By Beth - MA

Seed Starter

You can also use them to start seedlings in. Then when you transplant, just crack the shell and plant the whole thing. Of course this only works for small seedlings.

By Diwitch

Eggshell Seed-Starting Pots

To make eggshell seed-starting pots: Crack the tips off several eggshells, reserving the eggs for cooking. Fill shells with a light soil mixture and one or two seeds (nasturtiums were used in the book), and prick drainage holes in the bottom of each shell with a pin. Keep moist and warm. When seedlings have reached a suitable size, plant them directly in the ground, crushing the shell so the roots can emerge.

By Mythi

Deer Deterrent

If you have deer eating any of your garden plants, throw the eggshells out there because deer HATE eggs! Otherwise, they are good for your plants, anyway. Just crush and use in your potting soil or mulch.

By Margie

Compost And Mix With Birdseed

I crush them up very fine, and put them in my compost tumbler. On occasion, I dump them on the ground in the area where I feed the birds. The birds need grit in their gizzard to help digest food, so they eat the shells.

By Harlean from Arkansas

Make Sidewalk Chalk

Sidewalk chalk! Here's a great link to making the chalk, however after I washed the shells and let them dry, I ground them up in the blender rather than on a rock - much easier!

By Vinnyswoman

Bedtime Tea

Bedtime tea, you wash them, then bake them until brown. Crush and boil as you would tea. Stain and make tea as you normally would. Enjoy a cup before you go to bed, as told me by my grandmother.

By Susanv

Snail Food

Egg shells make good food for pet snails. They need calcium in their diet to maintain their shells.

By Sylvia

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Crafters could remove the membrane from the inside the shell, put pieces inside down on a box covered with glue, push down till it is all crackled. May also dye it before use. Could use different colors to make a picture.

My Mom used clean crushed egg shells on top of the coffee in the filter while brewing....Takes the bitterness out of coffee.

This is a cute craft for kids. Dye shells with your usual Easter egg dye. Make "chicks" out of 2 cotton balls glued together. Cut tiny feet out of construction paper, make a beak out of a small construction paper triangle folded in half, and two tiny circles for eyes. You could use small beads or craft eyes if you had them. Put the chicks in the dyed 1/2 shells. Glue onto a square of green construction paper to make it stand up. You could use white shells if you prefer, but the dyed shells are very pretty. I have done this craft with grade 2 &3 kids, and they liked it a lot. Louise, Nipawin

January 20, 2010 Flag

When using eggs in my cooking, I try to break the shells near one end. The smaller piece of broken shell goes into the compost bowl, the larger part of the shell I put back into the empty egg carton and save for spring when I fill the shells with soil and start my seedlings in them. They are lightweight and easy to move around. When the plants have developed roots and are ready to transplant into the ground you just lift them shell and all and plant them in the garden. The egg shell will fertilize and nourish the plant. It will be off to a good start!

By Deborah from Terre Hill, PA

Answers:

Save Egg Shells in Cartons for Planting Next Spring

We also take the egg shells, peelings, that sort of thing, toss them into the blender with a little water and feed our garden all summer. roses in particular love the egg shells and bloom more profusely and longer. (11/18/2009)

By willowfahy

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Better Living Green Living ReusingMay 30, 2012
Eggshells for Birds
Egg Shells
Use Egg Shells for Slug Prevention
drying shells and bag of crushed shells
Save Eggshells for Planting Tomatoes
Soft Boiled Egg
Making a Soft Boiled Egg
👒
🐰
You are viewing the desktop version of this page: View Mobile Site.
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on March 26, 2017 at 8:27:57 PM on 10.0.1.183 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.