Browsing: Uses for Jam That Didn't Set

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Uses for Jam That Didn't Set

Runny jam is not necessarily a complete loss. This is a guide about uses for jam that didn't set.

Jam That Didn't Set
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

July 2, 2011 Flag

I don't know about you, but I never have any luck with those no-cook and freezer jam recipes. For me they always turn out runny.

Today I was in the dairy section of the grocery store. Those fruit-on-the-bottom yogurts and tiny servings of cottage cheese with dabs of jam are so expensive, yet so tempting. Well, I remembered the jars of peach jam in my freezer. The jam is delicious, and tastes like a sunny summer day, but is too thin to put on toast. I have used it on vanilla ice cream, and it makes a wonderful topping. Today I realized it would also be really good mixed in with yogurt or cottage cheese - and a lot cheaper than store bought.

I like this idea so much, I am planning on making some batches of low-sugar, runny jams just to have on hand for a quick treat.

By Copasetic1 from North Royalton, OH

June 21, 2010 Flag

I stumbled on this site because it offered several remedies to fix my too thin jellies/jams. I am not a big recipe follower; always "knowing" that something else would taste great in the recipe. 95% of the trials turn out and I end up divulging my "secret" to a number of others.

To fix my too thin jellies/jams, the "air-dry method" is great. In the event one ends up with still too thin preserves label the mistakes "Glaze/Topping" and use for cheese cakes, thumbprint cookies, drizzle for cakes, baked cookies, syrups for waffles/pancakes, and french toast even a sweetener for teas.

Remember there are few real bad "mistakes" and lots of NEW uses/ideas.

By frys2go from Muncy Valley, PA

Jam That Didn't Set Correctly

July 23, 2009 Flag

Yum, this is a very moist spice cake. You can use any variety of jam you wish or that you screwed up. Another name for this recipe can be "How to Use the Jam that Didn't Set Up Well Besides Pretending that it is Syrup".

Directions:

Into a medium bowl, sift together flour, soda, salt, and spices. Sift a little of the flour mixture over the nuts and raisins or dates or whatever dried fruit you're using.

In a mixing bowl, cream butter; gradually add sugar and beat until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs and jam. Add flour mixture alternately with buttermilk. Beat until smooth after each addition. Fold in nuts and raisins or dates or whatever dried fruit you're using.

Pour into three 9-inch layer cake pans and bake at 350 degrees F for 20 to 25 minutes. Spread cream cheese frosting or your own favorite icing between layers and over cake.

Cream Cheese Frosting

Ingredients

Directions

Using an electric mixer or really big muscles, mix the butter and cream cheese and vanilla, then add in the confectioner's sugar. Mix until smooth. Spread on cake. Will cover a 2-layer cake. Be sure to lick the bowl. Yum.

Source: Base recipe found at southernfood.about.com

By Stephanie from Anchorage, AK

July 23, 2012 Flag

If your jelly absoluty refuses to set up, even after cooking it back down the second time, just call it by another name!

Last year I had one batch of apple jelly that just refused to jell, but it tasted great. So, we just canned it as it was, and labled in pancake syrup or ice cream topping.

By April from NW, MO

July 23, 2009 Flag

Ingredients

• 1 cup butter
  • 2 cups sugar
  • 6 eggs
  • 3 cups flour
  • 1 tsp. cinnamon
  • 1 tsp. cloves
  • 1 tsp. allspice
  • 1 tsp. soda
  • 1 cup sour cream
  • 2 cups blackberry jam

Butter Cream Icing:

• 3 cups sugar
  • 1 cup butter
  • 1 1 /2 cups whipping cream
  • 1 tsp. vanilla
  • 1 1/2 cups chopped nuts (opt.)

Directions

Cream together butter and sugar. Add eggs, one at a time. Sift flour with cinnamon, cloves and allspice; dissolve soda in sour cream. Add flour to creamed mixture alternately with sour cream. Stir in jam. Pour batter into four 8 inch layer pans and bake at 350 for 30 minutes or until cake pulls away from side of pan.

For Icing: Mix sugar, butter and cream and cook over low heat to soft ball stage or 238 degrees F. Remove from heat; add vanilla and cool slightly. Beat until right consistency for spreading. Add nuts if desired and ice between layers on top and sides of cake.

By Robin from Washington, IA

Answers:

Jam Cake

This sounds really good. And easy. Gotta try this one.
Val (11/28/2007)

By valery

Food and Recipes Recipes Condiments Jam & JellyJune 27, 2013
A slice of toast with grape jelly on it.
Grape Jam Recipes
Making Fudge
Fixing Fudge That Didn't Set
Blackberry Jam Recipes, Jar of blackberry jam on a plate with fresh blackberries.
Blackberry Jam Recipes
A bowl of fig jam and some fresh figs.
Fig Jam Recipes
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on August 21, 2016 at 5:34:27 PM on 10.0.2.7 in 4 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.