Uses for Jam That Didn't Set

Runny jam is not necessarily a complete loss. This is a guide about uses for jam that didn't set.

Filter Sort

Tip: Uses for Runny Jam

By Free2B 217 350

I don't know about you, but I never have any luck with those no-cook and freezer jam recipes. For me they always turn out runny.

Today I was in the dairy section of the grocery store. Those fruit-on-the-bottom yogurts and tiny servings of cottage cheese with dabs of jam are so expensive, yet so tempting. Well, I remembered the jars of peach jam in my freezer. The jam is delicious, and tastes like a sunny summer day, but is too thin to put on toast. I have used it on vanilla ice cream, and it makes a wonderful topping. Today I realized it would also be really good mixed in with yogurt or cottage cheese - and a lot cheaper than store bought.

I like this idea so much, I am planning on making some batches of low-sugar, runny jams just to have on hand for a quick treat.

By Copasetic1 from North Royalton, OH

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Using Up Jam That Didn't Set Correctly

By frys 2go 1

I stumbled on this site because it offered several remedies to fix my too thin jellies/jams. I am not a big recipe follower; always "knowing" that something else would taste great in the recipe. 95% of the trials turn out and I end up divulging my "secret" to a number of others.

To fix my too thin jellies/jams, the "air-dry method" is great. In the event one ends up with still too thin preserves label the mistakes "Glaze/Topping" and use for cheese cakes, thumbprint cookies, drizzle for cakes, baked cookies, syrups for waffles/pancakes, and french toast even a sweetener for teas.

Remember there are few real bad "mistakes" and lots of NEW uses/ideas.

By frys2go from Muncy Valley, PA

Jam That Didn't Set Correctly

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Recipe: Jam Cake

By stephanie 37 23

Yum, this is a very moist spice cake. You can use any variety of jam you wish or that you screwed up. Another name for this recipe can be "How to Use the Jam that Didn't Set Up Well Besides Pretending that it is Syrup".

• 3 cups sifted flour
  • 1 tsp. soda
  • 1/4 tsp. salt
  • 1 tsp. ground allspice
  • 1/2 tsp. ground cloves
  • 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
  • 1 tsp. ground nutmeg or mace
  • 1 cup chopped pecans or walnuts or a mix of both
  • 1 cup raisins or chopped dates or Craisins or whatever dried fruit, optional
  • 1 cup butter
  • 1 1/2 cups sugar
  • 3 eggs, beaten
  • 1 cup blackberry jam, seedless (you can use any variety of jam)
  • 1 cup buttermilk or do the milk and vinegar thing.

Directions:

Into a medium bowl, sift together flour, soda, salt, and spices. Sift a little of the flour mixture over the nuts and raisins or dates or whatever dried fruit you're using.

In a mixing bowl, cream butter; gradually add sugar and beat until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs and jam. Add flour mixture alternately with buttermilk. Beat until smooth after each addition. Fold in nuts and raisins or dates or whatever dried fruit you're using.

Pour into three 9-inch layer cake pans and bake at 350 degrees F for 20 to 25 minutes. Spread cream cheese frosting or your own favorite icing between layers and over cake.

Cream Cheese Frosting

Ingredients

• 1/4 cup butter
  • 1 package (8 oz.) cream cheese, room temperature
  • 2 tsp. vanilla extract
  • 1 lb. confectioners' sugar, sifted

Directions

Using an electric mixer or really big muscles, mix the butter and cream cheese and vanilla, then add in the confectioner's sugar. Mix until smooth. Spread on cake. Will cover a 2-layer cake. Be sure to lick the bowl. Yum.

Source: Base recipe found at southernfood.about.com

By Stephanie from Anchorage, AK

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Tip: Uses for Jam that Didn't Set

By April 187 452

If your jelly absoluty refuses to set up, even after cooking it back down the second time, just call it by another name!

Last year I had one batch of apple jelly that just refused to jell, but it tasted great. So, we just canned it as it was, and labled in pancake syrup or ice cream topping.

By April from NW, MO

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Jam That Didn't Set
Food and Recipes Recipes Condiments Jam & JellyJune 27, 2013
ThriftyFun on Facebook ThriftyFun on Pinterest Enter a Contest Free Newsletters Ask a Question Share a Post
A slice of toast with grape jelly on it.
Grape Jam Recipes
Blackberry Jam Recipes, Jar of blackberry jam on a plate with fresh blackberries.
Blackberry Jam Recipes
A bowl of fig jam and some fresh figs.
Fig Jam Recipes
Sour Jam
Fixing Sour Jam
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 13, 2016 at 2:02:58 AM on 10.0.0.222 in 979 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.

All ArticlesSolutionsPhotos
NewestOldestMost HelpfulLeast HelpfulMost CommentsFewest CommentsRelevance
Site MenuShare a PostContestsAsk a QuestionAbout ThriftyFun
BrowseAll By DateAll GuidesAll QuestionsAll VideosRecent FeedbackLonely Questions
CategoriesBetter LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness & LegalConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood & RecipesGarage SalesHealth & BeautyHolidays & PartiesHome & GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsTravel & RecreationWeddings