Question
Browse>Contests>Ask>Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Uses for Jam That Didn't Set

0 0EmailFollow
Pin It
Jam That Didn't Set

Runny jam is not necessarily a complete loss. This is a guide about uses for jam that didn't set.

Recipes

Read and rate the best recipes below by giving them a "thumbs up".

Tip: Uses for Runny Jam

I don't know about you, but I never have any luck with those no-cook and freezer jam recipes. For me they always turn out runny.

Today I was in the dairy section of the grocery store. Those fruit-on-the-bottom yogurts and tiny servings of cottage cheese with dabs of jam are so expensive, yet so tempting. Well, I remembered the jars of peach jam in my freezer. The jam is delicious, and tastes like a sunny summer day, but is too thin to put on toast. I have used it on vanilla ice cream, and it makes a wonderful topping. Today I realized it would also be really good mixed in with yogurt or cottage cheese - and a lot cheaper than store bought.

I like this idea so much, I am planning on making some batches of low-sugar, runny jams just to have on hand for a quick treat.

By Copasetic1 from North Royalton, OH

Recipe: Jam Cake

Yum, this is a very moist spice cake. You can use any variety of jam you wish or that you screwed up. Another name for this recipe can be "How to Use the Jam that Didn't Set Up Well Besides Pretending that it is Syrup".

• 3 cups sifted flour
  • 1 tsp. soda
  • 1/4 tsp. salt
  • 1 tsp. ground allspice
  • 1/2 tsp. ground cloves
  • 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
  • 1 tsp. ground nutmeg or mace
  • 1 cup chopped pecans or walnuts or a mix of both
  • 1 cup raisins or chopped dates or Craisins or whatever dried fruit, optional
  • 1 cup butter
  • 1 1/2 cups sugar
  • 3 eggs, beaten
  • 1 cup blackberry jam, seedless (you can use any variety of jam)
  • 1 cup buttermilk or do the milk and vinegar thing.

Directions:

Into a medium bowl, sift together flour, soda, salt, and spices. Sift a little of the flour mixture over the nuts and raisins or dates or whatever dried fruit you're using.

In a mixing bowl, cream butter; gradually add sugar and beat until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs and jam. Add flour mixture alternately with buttermilk. Beat until smooth after each addition. Fold in nuts and raisins or dates or whatever dried fruit you're using.

Pour into three 9-inch layer cake pans and bake at 350 degrees F for 20 to 25 minutes. Spread cream cheese frosting or your own favorite icing between layers and over cake.

Cream Cheese Frosting

Ingredients

• 1/4 cup butter
  • 1 package (8 oz.) cream cheese, room temperature
  • 2 tsp. vanilla extract
  • 1 lb. confectioners' sugar, sifted

Directions

Using an electric mixer or really big muscles, mix the butter and cream cheese and vanilla, then add in the confectioner's sugar. Mix until smooth. Spread on cake. Will cover a 2-layer cake. Be sure to lick the bowl. Yum.

Source: Base recipe found at southernfood.about.com

By Stephanie from Anchorage, AK

Tip: Uses for Jam that Didn't Set

If your jelly absoluty refuses to set up, even after cooking it back down the second time, just call it by another name!

Last year I had one batch of apple jelly that just refused to jell, but it tasted great. So, we just canned it as it was, and labled in pancake syrup or ice cream topping.

By April from NW, MO

Share Your Feedback: Have you tried this recipe? Do you have your own variation which you would like to share? Click "Share a Recipe" above!

Photos

Below are photos related to this guide.

Using Up Jam That Didn't Set Correctly

I stumbled on this site because it offered several remedies to fix my too thin jellies/jams. I am not a big recipe follower; always "knowing" that something else would taste great in the recipe. 95% of the trials turn out and I end up divulging my "secret" to a number of others.

To fix my too thin jellies/jams, the "air-dry method" is great. In the event one ends up with still too thin preserves label the mistakes "Glaze/Topping" and use for cheese cakes, thumbprint cookies, drizzle for cakes, baked cookies, syrups for waffles/pancakes, and french toast even a sweetener for teas.

Remember there are few real bad "mistakes" and lots of NEW uses/ideas.

By frys2go from Muncy Valley, PA

Jam That Didn't Set Correctly