Uses for Latex Gloves

Latex gloves have many uses around your home. This is a guide about uses for latex gloves.

We grilled out a couple of slabs of 'messy', but delicious BBQ ribs on the grill and when we were ready to get our grub on, I came up with an idea others may appreciate. I had a box of new disposable medical gloves that I gave each person a pair of. We all wore them while eating our ribs and took them off when finished - and had the cleanest hands EVER for handling ribs! I will never be without them at rib time again. Maybe fried chicken, also!

By Patty from IL

Anonymous

Your idea really is quite clever but, truly no offense intended, it's silly and it's wasteful when you could simply put out dampened washable washcloths for everyone to clean up with. Besides, making a mess while eating ribs or chicken is half the fun and it just wouldn't be the same licking a glove instead of your fingers - LOL! ;-)

Here are several tips I have found to use latex gloves when they get a hole in them. Cut the glove fingers off and use them for several things.

1. For pulling my needle through the fabric when quilting.

2. Keep ointment on my dry fingers, just put one that is tighter on over the ointment, that way I don't have to wear the whole glove.

3. Fill half way, tie off with thread and freeze to put on small burns without the watery mess, just wet it before touching the burn.

4. Tie off the finger with the hole in it and fill with water, lay over a small dish for a curved ice pack or flat in freezer for a ice pack.

5. For party fun fill with colored water, freeze and after taking the glove off rinse well then put in the punch bowl or break off the fingers and put in the glasses. The missing finger will only serve to make it more gruesome. Remember to tie off the glove finger with the hole in it. Put plastic spiders and such in the glove before filling and freezing for an added touch or red string licorice for veins.

6. Wear one for turning pages when working with lots of papers.

By Latrtatr from Loup City, NE

Great ideas! One tip I have seen often on ThriftyFun is to make rubber bands from gloves. It seems like this would work for the "hand" part of the glove, if you needed big sturdy rubber bands.

I keep a decorated flower pot on my kitchen counter filled with medical exam gloves. Any time I am going to do something messy with my hands (such as breading chicken, greasing a pan with shortening, tossing a salad, cleaning a pot, etc.), I put on a pair of gloves. They are a lot less cumbersome than the rubber gloves, easy to put on and take off, and readily available.

Great for saving manicures and especially great for preventing the transmission of unwanted germs. I buy mine from an on-line medical supply company.

By nema from Canton, MA

The only gloves that should be used for food handeling are food prep gloves. I wonder sometimes if the word about plastics being toxic is getting out. So many people are so quick to use any empty container or product such as these medical or cosmetic gloves for food. Only use food safe products on food.

Use disposable rubber gloves for skinning and prepping raw chicken. If you need to answer the door or are interrupted for any reason; just peel them off and dispose of them.

Wear fingers of medical gloves to keep from snagging delicate fabrics with rough fingertips when sewing or crafting.

Cleaning my hands after working with oil based paint is bothersome, smelly, and dries out my skin. Now when I work with oil based paint, I always wear latex gloves and my hands are kept clean.

Everyone's in a hurry when preparing meals and cleaning up, so try using medical-type latex gloves when making meatloaf, rolling balls of cookie dough, kneading dough, etc. I don't even take off my rings, and don't have to worry about my nails.