Uses for Leftover Bread

Instead of throwing out leftover bread, including all the heels of bread that my family does not like, here are several suggestions I use. Hope one of these will work for you and your family! I use my food processor and process them until there are crumbs. Then I wrap and freeze them to add to meatloaf, meatballs, or for breadcrumb topping on casseroles.

Sometimes, I cut the bread in cubes, toss in melted margarine or butter, some dried chives and any other seasoning my family likes. Then pour onto a baking sheet and bake at 350 degrees until they are lightly browned (watch them carefully, so they do not over toast). Take them out of the oven, cool and serve as yummy croutons on green salads or on a nice bowl of soup.

The last thing I do with leftover bread, or buns, rolls, etc is put it in the freezer, then when we are going to the zoo or the lake with the grandkids, we take it with us and feed the ducks. The kids love this, it is an inexpensive outing to go to the park or lake and feed the ducks.

By Bobbie from Rockwall

Answers:

Uses for Leftover Bread

Great ideas! But don't forget that the fancy breads (french, baguettes, etc) make great bread puddings! Even the raisin and cinnamon too. My family loves it. Cut the extra pieces into 1 inch bits and freeze. I need about 3 cups of bread for a batch. Yum! :) (01/08/2008)

By Toolgirl

Uses for Leftover Bread

I also cube the bread and dry it to use for stuffings, why buy it in a box? Did you know that there are several recipes on the Internet for homemade Shake-N-Bake and depression bread crumb cookie recipes too? During the winter months, I leave them plain or spread them with some kind of fat (sometimes coat with birdseed too) and throw them out for our feathered friends. My family will eat the ends when I make french toast out of them. (I hate wasting things too!) (01/09/2008)

By susanmajp

Uses for Leftover Bread

Italians never waste bread. We make Panzella, which is now served in restaurants as Bread Salad. Cube bread and moisten if you wish with water. Add fresh tomatoes, garlic, Italian seasonings especially oregano, salt and pepper, crushed red pepper and olive oil. Optional additions, green or black olives, chopped celery. Delicious, nutritious, and frugal. (01/09/2008)

By Angelina

Uses for Leftover Bread

Leftover hotdog and hamburger buns make wonderful garlic bread to serve with your spaghetti. (01/10/2008)

By auntieM39

Uses for Leftover Bread

Please look up online all the damage done by feeding ducks and birds bread. It is amazing the long term, big picture effects. Please re consider. Thank you (03/20/2008)

By Mary-Ann

Uses for Leftover Bread

I keep the heels until I have enough to make a breakfast of French Toast. (05/30/2008)

By LRP

Uses for Leftover Bread
Gluten free bread in a bread machine.
Gluten Free Bread Machine Recipes
French toast made with leftover bread.
Uses for Leftover Bread
Moldy bread.
Preventing Mold on Bread
Recipes Using Stale Bread, Slice of Bread on Cutting Board
Recipes Using Stale Bread
🎄