Browsing: Uses for Leftover Cereal

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Uses for Leftover Cereal

Have just a little bit of leftover cereal that might even be getting stale, there are lots of ways to use it in cooking and snacks. This is a guide about uses for leftover cereal.

Uses for Leftover Cereal
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

September 3, 2011 Flag

When you cook, you need to be spontaneous. It may sound strange, but cooking is a little like trial-and-error. I was once making a banana milkshake when my sister suggested I put Coco Puffs in it. This came out delicious. So if you see a spice just lying around try putting it into your dish; you never know!

By fenben from Totowa, NJ

June 6, 2006 Flag

I have been searching for ideas for using WIC cereal. I receive 48 ounces every month but we only go through about half of it. I can choose between Kix, Cheerios, Honey Bunches of Oats, and corn flakes. Does anyone have any great recipes or new uses for one of these cereals?

scruggle from Dublin, GA

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

You can use these cereals to make into Rice Krispie squares along with the Rice Krispie cereal, or alone.

These cereals can be used as stretchers in any bread, cookie, or cake recipes. Also, if you wished they could be used in stretching meatloaf or hamburger patty recipes. Or as topping when mixed with a bit of melted butter on top of a casserole. Or crushed and used on top of salads, instead of croutons.

You could use the Cheerios for the kids to string up to make 'necklaces', for a rainy day project. They'd be edible, afterwards.

http://www.health.state.mn.us/divs/fh/wic/wicfoods/cerealrcp.html

Minnesota Department of Health has some great recipes for using different WIC products.

well, ive heared of using crushed cornflakes as chicken batter, its like knock off kfc, i know there are recipes on the internet if you look.

I found some great recipes on Kraftfoods.com that use cereal. Just put into the search POST and you'll get a bunch of recipes. There are a lot for Honey Bunches of Oats.

Read More Answers...

May 28, 2004 Flag

Ideas and tips for leftover or stale cereal. Post your ideas below!

November 12, 2004 Flag

I am a child caregiver. I end up with lots of small amounts of dry cereal every week. I take the extra cereal and crush them.

Then I melt some white coating bark, pour it over the cereal and mix. When it is cool I cut it in squares, and you have a treat that kids love.

Jane from KY

April 27, 2011 Flag

Tired of throwing out cereal when there's not enough for a bowlful? Make "mystery cereal". Get a nice large plastic container with a lid and just pour those odd bits of cereal into it.

September 13, 2006 Flag

Use leftover or stale cereal as a casserole topper. Just crumble it up and use in place of or in addition to crackers.

April 8, 2001 Flag
Nancy Coleman1 found this helpful

Whenever the last bowl of cereal is emptied from a cereal container, there is a powder remnant. Instead of throwing it away or eating a really soggy last bowl of cereal, I save it for powdering raisins which I pack daily in my office lunch.

October 2, 2004 Flag

Some time ago, I saw a recipe for muffins which uses the leftover crumbly stuff that is at the bottom of every cereal box. I can't remember where I saw it, but if anyone knows, I would love to have it again. Thanks,

NC Mom

I know this is 2 years late but if you ever check your post again - here's a recipe I found online.

KATIE'S LEFTOVER CEREAL MUFFINS

This next one is a genuine original and has come in handy many times.

Combine:

2 cups unsweetened leftover cereal or granola (this works with those sample packages that arrive in the mail no one will try)

2 1/2 cups flour

2 T baking powder

1/2 cup sugar

1 T cinnamon

Combine:

2 cups milk

1/2 cup oil

3 eggs

Add to dry ingredients, stirring just until moist. Fill greased muffin tins (paper wrappers don't work with these).

Sprinkle tops with a combo of 1 T cinnamon and 3 T sugar (can be raw or granulated) and bake at 400 for 15-20 minutes. Makes 24.

Katie Watts

Food and Recipes Food Tips LeftoversJanuary 31, 2013
Recipes Using Leftover Ham, Spiral sliced ham.
Freezing Leftover Ham
Cereal Box Guitar
Making a Cereal Box Guitar
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on August 21, 2016 at 7:46:17 PM on 10.0.0.143 in 4 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.