Uses for Loofah (Luffa)

Loofah
The loofah is a dried plant "sponge" and can be used in many ways from personal hygiene and cleaning to craft projects. This is a guide about uses for loofah (luffa).

Instead of using a regular kitchen sponge, try using a loofah or bath scrub to wash your dishes. They dry much faster than a kitchen sponge and provide more lather. I assume the quicker drying time helps prevent bacterial buildup, as mine have never felt slimy like a kitchen sponge. Loofah's may also be microwaved while wet for approximately 2 minutes to kill germs. Please do not microwave the plastic scrubs! I've tried cloths, etc., but in my opinion nothing beats a loofah.

By Ivy from Rancho Plaos Verdes

I think sounds like a fabulous idea. I'm adding a loofah to my shopping list. Thanks.

I like the idea of sanitizing by microwave. But even so a loofah can last only so long. How long can I expect the loofah to last and what type of store would have them?

Peggyvan

I would like to add that loofahs are gourds that can be grown in your garden. I know somebody out there has to have a garden, and could get a supply to last a long time for nothing more than the cost of seeds.

Food particle will be hard to get, even with constant washing, and using bleach on them with make them tear-up, because some dish detergent contain bleach.

I cut a slice from my new luffa sponge to use under my soaps to keep them dry and firm in my soap dishes.

cut luffa sponge and bar of soap

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? 7

Loofas make great inexpensive, environmentally friendly and multipurpose scrubbers. You can buy or better yet grow grow your own, then cut into 1 inch thick circular slices. Use these for washing dishes, scouring sinks, and other cleaning needs in addition to using them in the shower/bath. Hopefully you are using nontoxic cleaning products in which case you can simply toss the loofa slices into the compost heap when they wear out.

By Tawnya from Alliance, OH

How do you grow your own loofas?

Great ideas! Thanks.

How do you grow your own? I have started to use up all my harse cleaners so I can replace with nontoxic and better cleaners. Thanks

I though loofas came from the sea??? How would you grow them?

Yep, I thought they came from the sea? How do you

grow a loofa? I would like to grow it too. Please let our inquiring minds know.

Thank You good tip.

i would love to grow these,do you know if you can get the seeds in australia,thank you

This is just one link I found with the seeds, I am sure that there are more.

http://www.dire  ail.asp?pid=6835

Here is a website that talks about them

http://www.luffa.info/

Unlike sea sponges, I believe that loofas are actually gourds. After you grow them, you hang them to dry, then clean them up and cut into any size sections that you want. I've seen them in seed catalogs, but am not sure on the climate needed to grow them. My grandfather grew them in northern Ohio, so I know that they can tolerate that climate.

I have been told that Loofa/gourd growing is a huge messy vine, requiring LOTS of space and support like

a clothes line to support the weight.

Can they be sold anywhere? Is there a profit to be made? I know House-bunny toys are often made of Luffa. Does anyone sell them cheaply? Don't they

require a lot of water? I live in Texas, so any info would be appreciated. lyndagayle62 AT aol.com

I've never tried growing them myself but here's a great link with lots of information about growing, harvesting and cutting loofas.

http://www.luffa.info/

Susan from ThriftyFun

nimwe, if you still get message......I grew loofahs in the summer of 2005, from seeds sent from another yahoo group, and they grew wonderfully. My first time so I didn't know what to expect. Unfortunately I didn't have the time needed for all my harvesting like I planned on and ended up having them all unused. I was going to make them as gifts for friends. They used up enough space but not too much, and I left them grow on the ground since I had the space. Pumpkins took up more space. If you can't find seeds in Australia, email me at gp04gal04@yahoo.com and in 5 months I can start looking around here in Wisconsin.

Rather then using antiquated steel wool pads that rust and stick your fingers, I cut a slice of a new luffa sponge to use for a pot scrubber! It works great and doesn't shred apart! Luffa is also anti bacterial. A simple solution!

I've discovered a wonderful way to clean your dishes, sink, pots and pans. It's a loofa! Also spelled loufa, loufah, etc. I grow my own, which is easy to do, but they can also be purchased on the internet, ebay and some "natural" stores. I find a piece about 5 inches long works great. After use just throw them into the dishwasher to have them cleaned and sterilized!

By Marilyn from Colfax, LA

I've been trying to find a source for luffa seeds, does anyone have any suggestions as to where I can purchase them online? Thanks! I'd love to use them for cleaning and to include as gifts with my homemade products :)

Anonymous

I never even thought about where loofah's came from :-o This is cool and I am going to order some seeds right now! Here's a link for where to buy the seeds :-)

http://www.loca  ponge-seed-C3379

And an excellent article on how to grow and harvest them including photos (two pages) :-)

http://www.groo  om/groove/?p=689

We better get snapping if we're going to grow them this year cause it's planting season ;-)

I buy <a href="http://www.natu  loofah</a> all the time from the Natural Bath and Body Shop. Usually there are 10-20 seeds in each raw loofah I buy. Hope this helps.

I'm going to grow some luffa's and try them, too. Neat idea. Thanks for sharing.

Thank You Deeli for posting such an interesting post. I truly enjoyed reading it. I plan to get started immediately on growing my own luffas. How exciting!

I have never been satisfied with the various nylon soap pockets used for showering. So, a while back, I began to cut a three inch chunk off of a loofa, and then cut out the center part to leave just the outside ring of fiber. I do this using a serrated bread knife to really saw through the loofa, as it's pretty tough. Then, I water up the loofa a bit and massage it until it's somewhat pliant. Finally, I shove a bar of soap inside the center and, voila, I've got a loofa soap pocket.

The loofas really hold the suds well! These pockets usually survive two or three bars of soap before I have to toss it out, but as you can get two to three of these holders out of one loofa you buy, one loofa can last you up to a year or more! And if you wait for a 99c or $1.00 store somewhere to carry cheap loofas, you're talking really cheap!

It's good to keep them propped up well and have a chance to dry out a bit so they don't get moldy or anything yucky like that.

Enjoy!

How do you soften an old hard luffa sponge?

Loofas are vegetable matter that is dry and hard when wet. Your old and hard loofa may need to retire anyway as they retain bacteria after a few weeks use and then need to be replaced.