Uses for Newspaper

Category Reusing
Uses for Newspaper, Stack of Newspapers
Whether it's from free samples or receiving the daily news, newspapers can pile up quickly in the recycling. Newspapers recycle well but there are other things you can do to reuse them. This is a guide about uses for newspaper.

Besides reading the newspaper, I find many uses for it around the house.

Newspapers have so many other uses. I always keep some on hand for whenever I need it.

Source: From over thirty years of experience being married with children.

By Mkymlp from NE PA

Here's a tip to help make a huge difference for our green planet. Keep old newspapers that are abundant in recycle dumpsters. Line in home trash containers with old newspaper. Simply press the newspaper against the sides of the trash bin or leave loose with several papers layered beneath. At the end of the day, gather and roll in a ball a few pages of the newspaper holding your daily trash, and dispose in an outside trash receptacle lined with a 100% biodegradable bag or similar/recycled plastic liner.

To really make a difference, purchase 100% recycled bags at select markets or online. Keep a flat stack of old newspapers right under the trash container making easy access.

Note: newspaper decomposes and generally has soy based ink.

Say "no" to plastic or paper bags at stores. (bring cloth bags, they're great!) Save money, and save critters from harmful plastic waste in landfill areas.

By Lydia from Redwood City, CA.

As we know, newspapers can be used for a whole lot of things around the house. But they're so unruly and hard to grab. Here's an idea - open a few days' papers out on your kitchen table, use scissors to cut them into fourths. "Roll" the pack of now-same-size pieces in half and insert into a large cereal box. You can pull out a sheet or two from the middle and they almost dispense as well as tissues.

By Jayne

The Luxury Spot site suggests that for a little gift, you can spray newspaper thoroughly with HAIR SPRAY for a cool lacquer finish! You will never be without wrapping paper again!

Source: The Luxury Spot online

By Pam from Los Angeles, CA

Shred newspapers, I put mine in a big trash bag. It makes great mulch or packing material for sending gifts, light wieght and free!

By Judy from Elko, Nevada

Line your trashcans with newspapers to catch leaks. This will help keep our cans cleaner.

By Candace from Alexander City, AL

I keep a laundry basket in the back of my car. I put my newspaper and plastic bags in the laundry basket. Once a week, I stop at a local resale shop that is run by a charity. They need the paper to wrap glass items and the bags for customer's items.

Remember that newspaper is very absorbent - so use it as a frugal alternative to sop up spills. It's also great for cleaning glass surfaces, leaves no lint!

I noticed some of those Christmas boxes I bought were just the right size for newspapers. I store newspapers for use with my pets, etc. It looks pretty and I get to see the box all year!

Save on paper towels by using newspaper to clean, and clean up some things. I save newspapers, and I cut them in half or smaller. You can just separate small sales flyers like you get from CVS, Walgreens, etc.

Newspaper is also a way to restore musty smelling books or drawers of bureaus bought at yard sales, or that have been stored in a barn or basement. For books, put crumpled newspaper in the bottom of a paper bag, put book inside, add crumpled paper loosely all around it, and above it.

If you have home delivery, papers can really pile up fast. What are your tips for recycling unwanted newspapers?

By guest client (Guest Post)

If you have a fireplace/woodstove, get a paper log roller. They used to be readily available in hardware stores, however you can still find them sometimes at garage sales. The logs burn forever, although they do create a fair amount of ash. But what a trade off! Free heat for a more frequent ash cleaning.

By guest client (Guest Post)

I shread newspapers and use in my compost pile. I also lay layers of newspapers on top of soil in the garden ,keeps the soil warm, and keeps weeds down, I then put a thin layer of soil or mulch over the papers to it looks pretty. Humane society shelters, and " critter " dr's offices are always looking for newspapers. I also have pot maker that my daughter got for me, great for making paper pots for seed starting. I also use them to clean windows, works great and no streaks, and biogradable . I also lay down a few papers ,about an inch thick, in areas where I know slugs " hang out " , then just lift the paper and throw them away, or crush the slugs and throw them in the yard for the birds. Newspspers are great for crafting too, used the for paper machae, paint with primer and decorate whatever you have made with the machae. Use them on your crafting table as a base when you are crafting something messy, just wrap and throw away. Hope " you all " can use some of these ideas.

By guest client (Guest Post)

I use newspapers on my kitchen counter when I cut up juicy watermelon or cantaloupe. I also spread newspapers like a tablecloth when peeling/eating boiled shrimp. Put the shells on the table and when done you just fold it up and put it in the trash. You can use the Sunday comics as wrapping paper or use the other sections as padding when shipping packages to friends and relatives to keep them up to date on local happenings. Boy Scouts, churches and schools earn money from recycling newspapers. Boys Scouts will pick up the papers, churches and schools have recycling bins on church/school grounds. You could also teach your kids/grandkids how to make hats from folded newspapers. Always a big hit!

By guest client (Guest Post)

The SPCA needs papers for the homeless animals!

By guest client (Guest Post)

My daughter chose to have a Mexican themed birthday party a few years ago and we made our own pinata, as well as miniature pinatas with a hole left in the top to fill with goodies and we made a tissue paper tip to stick out of the hole for decoration. Each one was painted differently. The kids parents enjoyed them as much as the kids did!

You can buy one at http://www.plow  ct.asp?pcode=820

Newspaper - use for sopping up spills on the floor/counters, etc. instead of expensive paper towels -

Use a roll of newspaper to put in your boots to keep them upright -

If you have a shredder - or access to one - shed them to use as packing materials.

In a pinch newspapers are very good insulating material and can be used to supplement blankets, etc. - but remember, they are flammable.

Use to clean glass, etc. - no lint!

I use them to line my ferret's cage, which is a big 6 x 6 foot 'dog run.' Believe me, they use a lot of newpspaper!

I give them to my daughter and her husband who do not get the paper on a regular basis.

we donate ours to our local vet

We have a shop with huge windows and newspapers are the best for cleaning them up. Just use any generic window cleaner on the paper and away you go.

I use the black and white pages to line my veg. drawers in my fridge. I also use them to line the bottom of my dogs crates. It makes them warmer than just putting them on the tile floors and then I put clean towels over the newspaper for more warmth and comfort. I also save the "funny sections" for wrapping gifts. I use the black and white pages to block out weeds when I put mulch down. I just dampen the paper a little and then scatter the mulch over to papers. Then if I want to plant something later in that area it is easy to just slice thru the mulch and paper.

This past Christmas, I used all the colorful sale papers. First I ran them through the paper shredder. Then instead of wrapping gifts, I purchased inexpensive Gift Bags.I placed the gifts in the bags and covered them with a layer of the shredded sale papers. Very colorful.

Harlean from Arkansas

Maybe some of you have small dogs and use "piddle pads". I have 2 small chihuahuas and have changed them over from the piddle pads to newspaper and paper towels. They were not happy at first, as I think they can tell what is under their feet and did not want to use newpapers. (They are both over 2 yrs old and have always used piddle pads.) It took awhile. First I used newspapers and they would not pee pee on it. Then I put cheap paper towels over it and they will use it. I know... this is a strange tip, but it has saved me ALOT of money!

I make my own puppy pads with newspapers.I lay the newspapers on unfolded trash bags to prevent leakage. I tape the edges of the newspapers with strips of masking tape to the edges of the trash bag. When soiled I just roll up the pad and toss in the trash..I purchased the trash bags & masking tape for a dollar each at the dollar store. I make about a dozen at a time. They can be folded and stored for later use.

I use newspapers to clean my windows & windshield. Works great.

use the color pages of the comic section for kids giftwrapping.

Hey prairiefloozie, have you ever thouught of house training your dogs.

I want to know about commercial products that can made out of news paper. Any idea?

Years ago, at our public library, I checked out a book entitled, "The Newspaper Everything Book". I believe it's now out of print and I cannot locate a copy anywhere. Does anyone have this book they'd be willing to sell, or know where I can purchase a copy? TNX Blessings.

By Vicky

Hi Vicky,

Looks like Powell's has a copy that is for sale via eBay.

http://www.ebay  8b#ht_842wt_1049

Good luck!

When I sweep the floor, I take a saved newspaper (just one page). Fold it over gently lengthwise (do not crease), it should be about four inches folded. Dip quickly into a basin of water and unfold gently on floor behind swept up trash. Make sure it is plastered to floor (tile only). Sweep trash onto the dry area of the newspaper. Pull up carefully and fold paper up.

There should not be any residue to sweep or chase around like when you use a dustpan. Wipe up any wetness with the paper you just picked up.

Hope this works right for you. It does take some practice for some.

By Letageraldine from Tucson Az